why do I procrastinate?

mikelopez

I feel good then bad then good then bad...

I am a first generation college student; two older sisters made it graduated electrical engineers. I have a pot addiction which i am working on with a 12 step program and attenind land meetings, aa meetings, na meetings, and seen my school counselor. i study the same subject as my sisters but abviously due to my set backs I am on the 6 year plan to graduate. I been in good shape before nice body, but I seem to be getting out of shape eating more. I feel sluggish and lazy and ugly at times because i gained about 20 pounds in the last 2-3 months. I make excuses to not get things done. I really want to study but I dont. I come here read post, if not i just watch maywaether youtube videos, music videos, and munch. I feel like I dont take much care of myself like I used to. Is it because I want to do so many things that i procrastinate. I want to be an engineer, get good grades, workout, box, jujitsu, swim, sports, look good again, eat healthy again, keep my things organized, my car clean, attend land meetings, be of service to others, go to church, be a lawyer, read more, learn new languages, and stop wasting time.....what is wrong with me my life is so simple but i make it harder on myself why??? i dont get it im 21 letting my life slip away why???? I am avoiding all my past freinds because i know they keep me down but i feel akward lame, like a looser idk.......help

I get into the same kind of funks as you do. There's so much I want to do, but it's just easier to munch on snacks and watch DVDs.

Making to-do lists and schedules help me out. Start small and just plan out small things you want to get done in one day. Could just be housework, going to the gym, etc. Get small things done and relish in how good it feels to have it done and out of the way.

Motivation is pretty important too. Think of one thing you want to accomplish and work toward it in small, daily steps like the above paragraph. It takes some self discipline, but feels great once you're in the swing of accomplishing what you want. Good luck.

If we want to do a lot, in fact so much that we begin to doubt that there is enough time to do it, then some things will need to be shelved or dropped won't they? Otherwise while we are doing something we may well find that we are thinking that perhaps we should be doing something else. This eventually may lead to becoming so mind bound in the cycle of 'what should I be doing' that one may eventually become ineffective in doing much at all. One may even get to the stage of 'why do I want to do any of it', and thus really stuck.

I recall a friend, who was building a house by himself, saying that he had to focus on one thing at a time or otherwise he would be so overwhelmed that nothing was done.

Perhaps at this time your 'one thing at a time' is a review of your priorities, of what you really want, which will naturally take account of what can be fitted in, or prioritised.

I would imagine that high up on you priority list will be 'having time to smell the flowers'.

With best wishes,

Otherwise while we are doing something we may well find that we are thinking that perhaps we should be doing something else. This eventually may lead to becoming so mind bound in the cycle of 'what should I be doing' that one may eventually become ineffective in doing much at all. One may even get to the stage of 'why do I want to do any of it', and thus really stuck.

I am in the why do i want to do any of it stage??? Why please help me........I seem to keep messing up cant get the easy things done i feel fat......and i keep eating idk i get a complement and eat why? im going crazy nuts idk

Procrastination = fear.

There is no reason why you arnt doing these things, except for the fact that your letting them happen. There is just an irrational fear of change and the unknown. Doing what your doing, you know what the result is, whether or not that is good or bad it doesnt matter, feeling even a false sense of "safe" is better than taking the plunge aka things that will improve your life.

Ask yourself why your procrastinating, because in the end your the only one that can answer that, and the only one that can change it.

Procrastination = fear.

There is no reason why you arnt doing these things, except for the fact that your letting them happen. There is just an irrational fear of change and the unknown. Doing what your doing, you know what the result is, whether or not that is good or bad it doesnt matter, feeling even a false sense of "safe" is better than taking the plunge aka things that will improve your life.

Ask yourself why your procrastinating, because in the end your the only one that can answer that, and the only one that can change it.

man reflecting on this can you give me more insight? I am a marijuana addict getting help, feel much better, but I am still not doing my absolute best, way more porgress than before though. and i am also recieving help from a 12 step support group along with counseling.

Archived