Could This Be a Serious Illness?

Pretty-N-Pink

Procrastination?

I am really starting to think that it is. I am a huge procrastinator and I hate it. Procrastination has always been an issue for me and I am really at the point where I am trying to get "cured" in a sense. I procrastinate with just about everything I do and in all areas in my life...professionally, academically, and personal life. It's not that I am lazy...I am a very hard and dedicated worker. I tend to procrastinate on tasks that I really do not care to do such as filing. I am a very organized person but the idea if setting up and maintaining a filing system drains me mentally and physically. Academically...I procrastinate on getting my assignments done. I get them done but it's at the last minute. I believe that I work better under pressure but I do not want to continue to live this way. Any advice would be great!

No, its not an illness. But realise that a part of you will always want to procrastinate.

One simple trick I find working pretty well is to tell myself: "I am [insert action here]...." even if I am not. Saying it out to yourself in present tense, actually helps you getting started.

I am not usually pitching specific books on this forum, but see if you can get a hold of "Self-discipline in 10 days" by Thedore Bryant. It is an easy and quick way to understand procrastination and to do something about).

(Yes, I realize that there is a certain irony in asking a procrastinator to read a book. However, the book is a simple and easy read. Moreover, it will guide all the way from initial resistance to start working).

Archived