what should i do about this first date

You should pay. Just grab the bill when it comes. If she grabs it first, or insists on paying, pay for half, or tell her she can leave the tip. As far as conversation? How well do you know her? Make a list of questions you want to know about her before you go and when it gets quiet ask her things about herself. It can be simple, do you have any brothers or sisters? Do you have any pets? Things like that.

Good luck on your date, and bring gum!

I would advise against mexican food, as you will probably have breath issues or even gastronomical ones that you probably don't want on a first date.

Talking to girls can be tough, but one question that is always a conversation starter seems to be "so what do you do for fun?" because she will either start rattling off activities which is cool (lets you see what you have in common) or you realize, wait a sec, this girl and I have zip in common why the hell are we on this date? If she is really shy and says something like "oh nothing" you can say "You don't have fun? We better change our movie/bowling/etc plans to something less interesting how about (name the most boring thing you can imagine)" If you say it with a slight grin, she will probably laugh and then tell you a few things. If there starts to be some silence you can always excuse yourself to the bathroom and at least you can kill 5-7 minutes (lets you think about a topic) and you can sometimes come up with a funny story (like one old guy who kept trying to find the knob for a heatsensor sink)

Sometimes you can even use the nothing to talk about routine as a conversation starter.

--Joey