Get SMART (Performance Management)

Dear reader,

This posting might be helpful for those who would like to setup a career, by setting goals that actually work. I am sure you recognize this: "I tried to set goals, but I don't seem to get to it." Then I suggest you sit back and read on.

The secret for setting goals is making goals that are S.M.A.R.T. This is a term, used in performance management and stands for:

Specific

Measureable

Ambitious

Realistic

Time Related

In fact what I say here is: a goal has to be "specific", "measureable", "acceptable", "realistic" and "time related".

Example

Look at this goal:

"I'd like to improve my knowledge of Windows XP".

This goal is not SMART. It is not specific (WHAT knowledge of XP exactly?), it's not measureable (How do you know that you reached your goal?) and it is not time related (when should this goal be achieved?).

Now look at this goal:

"By the end of this year, I would like to have the title Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer for Windows XP".

Now, that's more like it! This goal is specific (you want to become an MCSE), it's measureable (you did not achieve your goal if you are not MCSE), it is acceptable (it is your interest), it is realistic (you still have 11 months to make it happen) and it is time related (this goal has to be achieved by the end of the year).

I suggest that if you set goals, work them out as I just did. You know exactly what you're facing when you work out goals like this.

On a side note This does not only work for your career, it also works in your private life, such as in relationships.

Good luck!

~ SwingFox ~

• 4 years later...