InLaws Problems.. anyone??

FlovesK

I do not live with the inlaws, but they live next door.... Mother in law, Father in law... and MIL's father, husbands grandpa all next door.

We share property, it can be too close at times. I married into a close family and can probably relate to what you are going through.

If you share more information, perhaps we can help you.

As you know two women can never run one kitchen.. useless do's and dont's.. tries to compete with me in everythng.. and when my sis in law comes home, things get worse.. she s the worst character i have ever come accross. all of it is so petty..

I come from an open minded family.. all this nonsense gets to my nerves.. but i choose to keep quiet bcoz whatever the case is, she is the mother of the person i love the most.

my husband is supportive but does not want to live separately.. i hate the unwanted advices from them and taunts and blames are just too much at times. it also effects my relationship with my husband as all i do is complain about it when he comes back from work..

any suggestions on what i should do??

Well, a lot of people can relate to stuff like this. I don't have a mother-in-law because I am not married but of course my boyfriend's mother is the closest thing to it. We have had our share of troubles, her and I. I am pregnant and the pregnancy brought us to be more friendly. It is easier to talk to her now and I usually enjoy talking to her and I do like her, though I can't say I fully trust her or her motives. (For example, she hates my bf's ex wife but to her face is sweet and friendly, just like she is to me, for the granddaughter's benefit.)

One of my problems with her is that she used to accuse me of being oh-so-hypersensitive over my bf's ex-wife, then went to great lengths (at a time when she secretly did not like me) to start trouble, by telling me how he's never loved anyone like he loved the ex-wife, how he went crazy over her, and etc, etc etc, and implied how she didn't think he felt the same for me. Fast forward some months later and we all had a huge blowout, then no communication for a couple of months, then her and I started talking through email and made up and got to be better friends (I think.) But she still tries to throw in the ex wife's name as often as possible. And I am so sure that she does it on purpose to see if my oh-so-hypersensitive self will 'overreact' and start b*tching about it to my bf, who in turn will say something to her.

So, I smile and go along with whatever she says as far as the ex wife goes, and mainly say nothing to the Bf. But it DOES annoy me and I AM on to her. Like the other day, for no reason she was randomly talking about being at her sister's house doing her family tree, and how she was going to add in the ex wife's name when the computer messed up. Then was talking about how when my son is born she told her sister to add him but her sister was like, no, you do it. (Yet there was no mention of me, plus they act like the ex wife is more important to add than me and my son just because me and her son aren't married, so I guess the ex wife is their family. hahah.) And it was so obvious she was just doing that to try to see if she could provoke me.

Also she will randomly start telling me about my boyfriend and his precious ex wife and what they did when their child was a baby, never seeming to be any point other than JUST to bring up the ex wife and try to rub it in my face that once they were a loving couple (because she really believes that this bothers me and that I am hypersensitive about it.)

I kinda think she is only being fake with me cause she knows I'm the one who has the say in whether she is around her 2nd grandchild or not.

Archived