Is it time to leave internship?

Hello all,

I'll make this short. I've basically been intern at a media/advertising agency for almost a year now. They've given me extensions twice now, and the latest one is slated to expire again in March. Great pay, fairly nice people, but I think it might be time to move on. Here's why:

- The company has undergone major changes in the short time I've been here. In only a short period of time I went from working with the lady who trained me and a supervisor to literally having no supervisor at all. The supervisor left to another company and the one who trained me now works for a different account. Thus, I literally don't have a supervisor anymore, don't feel like I have a little group within the company anymore, and thus because of this I feel like I'm not learning much anymore.

- Although I'm majoring in marketing, this place is an advertising agency. Although it's made me like and appreciate advertising a lot more, I'm still unsure as to whether I want to get into marketing (consumer products) or advertising. That's why I want to get my feet wet in the marketing side of it (as I did here w/ advertising) before I graduate and I won't be able to do so if I stay. Besides, that's what I'm studying in the first place.

- My main interest in market research (interviews, focus groups, etc) and those are things that I don't deal with in this place. There is a research area in this company but it's only limited to two directors who have no subordinates. I work on a limited basis with one of them but room for growth in the research area seems uncertain in this company.

- One of the main responsibilities of this job is followup with offices in other markets - depending on them to send you things you need all the time. I think I want to be able to do the work that is needed on my own without having to depend on the other offices as much.

- This job only gives me the chance to utilize my second language (Spanish) and barely English. Considering that I've always been merited for my English skills, I honestly don't like this aspect.

In my opinion, it's been a great internship and has lasted fairly long (most of them are usually under a year) but perhaps it's time to test other waters. I have to act soon considering I graduate after the fall of 2007.

Does anyone have any comments/suggestions ?

Is this a paid internship? If so, I would try to find something while still working there. That way you're not financially insecure while trying to find a new internship.

I say go for it. Try to find something new. This way you'll know what you want to do with your future career.

*btw, congrats on graduating next year! Yay! I graduated University last spring at it was seriously one of the happiest days of my life.