Can you get pregnant on your period?

Dawn_Marcin

Hi Dawn,

Yes, you can get pregnant while on your period. While the chance may be decreased because typically the egg and lining is being shed during this time, that is not always the case and it varies from woman to woman, many women have gotten pregnant on their periods.

How long ago did this happen?

I'm concerned also that you were impaired enough not to be able to use good judgement and protect yourself from STI's as well as pregnancy. Is this a common occurrence for you? Do you know your partner well, and have you been tested for STI's?

Hi Dawn,

Yes, you can get pregnant while on your period. While the chance may be decreased because typically the egg and lining is being shed during this time, that is not always the case and it varies from woman to woman, many women have gotten pregnant on their periods.

How long ago did this happen?

I'm concerned also that you were impaired enough not to be able to use good judgement and protect yourself from STI's as well as pregnancy. Is this a common occurrence for you? Do you know your partner well, and have you been tested for STI's?

What is STI?

This happened on Thursday.

No, this is not a common occurrence. In fact this is the first time that I have ever been so drunk that I just had sex and didn't care about using protection. I don't konw him that well. I have known him for a few weeks.

I am in agreement with Hope and Meow here. Certainly it is possible to get pregnant as Hope mentioned, but not as likely during having your period.

Definitely get checked for STD's/STI's since you have only known this guy for a few weeks and probably have no idea of his sexual history.

Stay prepared with some type of birth control and do not rely on that "pull out" method .

Hey There Dawn,

Seeing as it's now close to if not over the 72 hour window for the Plan B pill (which can prevent pregnancy if taken within 72 hours of a sexual encounter)... you may have to wait now until your next period is due to see what happens. If this happened Thursday night, and you are still within the 72 hour window, you may need to get to a family planning clinic ASAP since I think that they are still requiring a prescription for the Plan B pill although it was recently approved for over the counter sales. You can also try calling a few pharmacies and asking them if it's available over the counter yet.

As Meow18 mentioned, an STI is a sexually transmitted infection, otherwise known as an STD. These are passed along through sexual contact (orgasm is not necessary to transmit them since many are present on the skin on and around the genital area). I would suggest that you get yourself to a family planning clinic as soon as possible to be tested. Diseases like HIV can take a while to incubate, (HIV is up to 12 weeks) so you will have to return later for a second test confirming the first results on those.

Good luck, and I hope you will use protection in the future