How to make a good first impression?

hey, since my highschool prom is coming up, my friend is trying to introduce me to some new girls from other schools.

i need advice on how to make a good impression on the girl i am going ask. today i met one of the girls but i had nothing to talk about, it was sort of awkward. i sort of sat there while my friends and her friends mingled.

i want to know if girls actually will try to talk to you if they are interested, or they just do not take the initiative unless the guy does even if they are attracted. I want her to be somewhat attracted to me, not just "whatever i'm just going with some guy" type of deal, because i want to go to prom with someone that has more interest than none.

i met her for the first time today, but i do not know if she has any interest at all. she said it would not matter if she went with this other person or me. i was confused

could it be that i was so unattractive that she didn't even bother/care about talking to me, or was it my fault that i did not try and do anything. Am i just over reacting about this whole thing, should i just see how things turn out?

thanks for the comments

wow,

maybe this girl was just looking for someone to go to the prom with as not to be alone, not a serious relationship type of deal. that's what it looks like to me.

if you want to make good impression, just be yourself. Pretty sure you've heard that one before, but it's your best bet. Don't focus so much on making the good impression, but focus more on the other person and show genuine interest in them, of course if you are indeed interested.

I know how you feel though. for my senior prom, the guy i ws with barely made eye contact with me! Like if he looked at me i would laser his brain or something. We knew each other for years and when he said he would take me to the prom i was happy about it and wanted to have fun. I guess he was trying to show me not to develop feelings for him because this is just for fun....that's probably what this girl is doing to you, but who knows! have fun!!