time apart - does he really mean what he says? please help

my boyfriend and i broke up last wednesday. we've been together for 2 and half years and during the past 6 months, we've been fighting alot. Most recently, we were in SF with his family and we even fought there. His family wasn't happy and thought we should separate. So, I went back to LA. But I missed him so much and called him up in SF. At first, he told me that he didn't love me anymore and that it's over. But later, he told me he said that out of frustration and that he needed time apart. I asked him if this is his way of breaking up with me and he said, trust me, it isn't. he told me that it would be good for us for these reasons:

-ever since sept 2003, we've been almost 24/7 since we moved in with each other and both of us didn't work. we never had any time apart, especially after fights to think things through.

-that he needed to think through our problems and the reason why we fought.

he told me that it's not over between us and taht i should have faith. he just needs this time and he thinks i should respect him for this (he asked for time apart before when we got into huge arguments but i never listened to him). if i do this then i will show him that i am understanding and that i do listen to his needs. also he told me that this could be a good time for us to grow and change.

please help. i miss him so much. i'm respecting his wishes this time and i'm not contacting him at all. i'm dying inside and i'm so scared that he will call in a month and tell me it's over. what do you think? do you think he means it?

whatever you do.. DO NOT CALL HIM

I made the mistake after his break, because he did choose to split with me.. to call him.. and I ended up making him hate me... not care at all. And I think I lost all chance of him coming back. He will remember the last tast of you he had.. and it is up to you to make sure it was a good one!