Omg, grad school! D:

Hey guys!

This coming year will be the last of my Bsc. I'm interested in my fellow ENAer's experience with the process of application; what were the things you've done or wish you had done and what it's like trying to figure your way around your first year?

I noticed that most grad students are pretty much invisible their first year, rarely making appearances at social events. Why is that?

Additional questions: Do department chairs make good advisors? Are they necessarily the best or higher up on "hierarchy"? How do I find out who's actually the best/gets the most say in my department?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Sorry for posting about this a lot. I'm such a worry wart. Thanks in advance!

I don't know how it is everywhere but I got my masters from a combo upper undergrad/grad school and I don't remember anyone being "invisbile". I suspect that is because first year grad students aren't always worried about jobs then whereas later students are. I don't know since most of my classmates were older and already working. My advisors were those already in the department which worked for me because many were working professionals. Probably depends on the school.

Hey guys!

This coming year will be the last of my Bsc I will be working on a research project for credits with the departmental chair, but I still feel like I'm walking into the unknown. I'm interested in my fellow ENAer's experience with the process of application; what were the things you've done or wish you had done and what it's like trying to figure your way around your first year?

I knew going in the areas I wanted to concentrate on. Around your first year, if your program consists of didactic work, you need to focus on getting the grades. You may also be doing lab rotations unless your program has you choose, or assigns you, an advisor from the start. Try to stay true to your main area of interest but also be prudent in your choice of lab (if you have a choice); make sure the project they offer you is necessarily focused and reasonable to complete in the semester or quarter or for however long in the case of a rotation. Also be prepared to consider alternate research if the lab you want isn't currently funded to take on students. When you interview for a program, or upon acceptance, ask the director of the program who has funding; he/she should be able to tell you.

I noticed that most grad students are pretty much invisible their first year, rarely making appearances at social events. Why is that?

Never noticed that in my experience! I pretty much knew of everyone in the whole of the graduate programs at my medical school... That likely depends upon the culture of the particular institution. We knew a lot of each other through common classes so it was easy to get to know your colleagues professionally and socially.

Additional questions: Do departmental chairs make good advisors? Are they necessarily the best or higher up on "hierarchy"? How do I find out who's actually the best/gets the most say in my department?

Department chairs as good advisors--I'd say likely not, but that's just been my experience. Their administrative responsibilities are tremendous. However, if you like the research and the prof is willing to meet with you on a regular basis, say once a week or every other week to discuss your progress, it may be okay. Also, if you prefer a "hands-off" advisor, it may also be okay.

As for choosing the best advisors...listen to what more senior students in the department have to say, as the best advisor for you may not be the best advisor for your friend. Some of the worst advisors I've had have been amongst the biggest names in the field, while some of the best may not be as extensively published but are excellent teachers and offer their trainees solid platforms that will result in success. A solid platform is key, one that you and your advisor can discuss openly and critically, and can be malleable over time. I cannot stress this enough. Also look at the average amount of time to completion of degree for students of a particular program/lab; you don't want an advisor who will string you along or pigeonhole you into a project that goes nowhere. That is painful in words I don't have. Bottom line: departmental gossip amongst students can tell you a LOT about this matter.

I've been in academia all my life--feel free to ask me some more specific questions if you have them.

You will hear back from the programs you applied to, a yes or no decision. As for when you hear, it varies. I interviewed for my PhD program on a Monday and was accepted by Thursday, but I was a very early applicant in the season. It depends on your program--if you have something like an interview weekend when a bunch of people come, my program might send out decisions within a few weeks. I know that for fall admissions to my program people were usually asked to make a decision by mid-April if they had an offer.

Archived