Removing Negative Marks on Credit Score

Weeblie

I have a closed credit card that is keeping my credit score from improving (120 day late payment on file from a year ago). I still owe some money on it and have been making my payments on time for the past year. Now, I finally have enough cash to pay off the remaining balance.

But before I do that, I'd like to know if anyone knows if it's possible to negotiate with the credit card company and basically have that late payment removed from my credit history or even just have my entire history with that company removed? If so, how should I go about doing that?

I have a closed credit card that is keeping my credit score from improving (120 day late payment on file from a year ago). I still owe some money on it and have been making my payments on time for the past year. Now, I finally have enough cash to pay off the remaining balance.

But before I do that, I'd like to know if anyone knows if it's possible to negotiate with the credit card company and basically have that late payment removed from my credit history or even just have my entire history with that company removed? If so, how should I go about doing that?

You can write a letter agreeing to "Pay in Full" if they agree to remove completely or remove bad items.

There is good advice on how to negotiate here:

link removed

WHATEVER YOU DO, do not pay them in full until you have word of an agreement, its your only bargaining power you have.

I used this guys advice to contact 2 old accounts and the companies actually removed them from my credit report without any payment what so ever.

You can write a letter agreeing to "Pay in Full" if they agree to remove completely or remove bad items....

Thanks, that seems like the best thing to do. The interest rate is pretty low on that card, so I think I can wait it out a little longer. How long did it take for them to remove the old accounts from your credit report?

my ex has a bunch of marks. she never listened to just pay them off. they were lame little charges. but a mark is a mark. she was told they'd be gone if she just paid. one was as low as $12 too.

She refused to pay $12?

I wish that's all I had to pay off.

Archived