Are you reading any self-help books?

JenniferSNJ

Addiction manifested right in front of our eyes. Wickedsunrise controlled her addiction by using the library.

ahhh hahah

Well, tbh... with the whole english teacher thing... I annotate everything I'm reading like I'm studying for the GRE so I kind of have to buy my books so I can mark them up. (step 1 in addiction- come up with really lame excuses that validate your addiction.)

I absolutely love self-help books!!! I have so many of them. Unfortunately, a lot of the self help market is just a pure $$ market. There are so many that I've read that are just plain, good old fashioned common sense.

However, despite how people feel about him, I cannot recommend Tony Robbins enough. For the longest time I stayed away from him b/c he was so popular, but then I got one of his audio tapes somewhere, and his enthusiasm and energy is amazing. Just listening to him talk gives me more energy (thats how much he has!). I highly recommend his books.

I absolutely love self-help books!!! I have so many of them. Unfortunately, a lot of the self help market is just a pure $$ market. There are so many that I've read that are just plain, good old fashioned common sense.

However, despite how people feel about him, I cannot recommend Tony Robbins enough. For the longest time I stayed away from him b/c he was so popular, but then I got one of his audio tapes somewhere, and his enthusiasm and energy is amazing. Just listening to him talk gives me more energy (thats how much he has!). I highly recommend his books.

Again, now I have another thing to check out! I looked up how much it would cost to see him speak in persona and it's like $1500/person- that's nuts!!!

Again, now I have another thing to check out! I looked up how much it would cost to see him speak in persona and it's like $1500/person- that's nuts!!!

I know! He's def become a small cult figure and people think that if they see him, he'll change their life. But he says over and over again - I don't work miracles, only the people who consistently practice what they learn, change.

I watch youtube and read the books at Borders for free during lunch

I know! He's def become a small cult figure and people think that if they see him, he'll change their life. But he says over and over again - I don't work miracles, only the people who consistently practice what they learn, change.

I watch youtube and read the books at Borders for free during lunch

hah I love it. My next question, if anyone is following this thread at all, is do you share your self help book obsession with anyone in your "real" life? My family and some of my best friends know, but I keep it under wraps in general. A lot of people think I'm really weird for it.

hah I love it. My next question, if anyone is following this thread at all, is do you share your self help book obsession with anyone in your "real" life? My family and some of my best friends know, but I keep it under wraps in general. A lot of people think I'm really weird for it.

Unless I see someone needs a book badly, I don't mention it. People will think you're weird. In fact,I feel a little stigma even caught browsing that section at the book store - I always check if there are other people in the isle...

Which imo, is stupid, b/c I've read psych books and textbooks and have taken classes, and I've learned more about psychology, people and myself from the self help section than most psych majors/minors I know in all of their "official sources".

There are two books I read and enjoyed and made use of and the strategies worked wonders. I should re-read them. One of them is called "How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie. It's about showing genuine interest in others. People enjoy talking about themsleves. Another book is about creating converstations with strangers, I forgot what it's called. I'll post it up if I remember it, the book discusses about starting conversations, i.e. you see someone at a party that has a tattoo and you always wanted a tattoo, that can be a conversation starter. I remember right after reading this book, at my new job I was able to use these tactics and people at my work thought I was very sociable, while as most people at other places think I am "quiet". It was good!

There are two books I read and enjoyed and made use of and the strategies worked wonders. I should re-read them. One of them is called "How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie. It's about showing genuine interest in others. People enjoy talking about themsleves. Another book is about creating converstations with strangers, I forgot what it's called. I'll post it up if I remember it, the book discusses about starting conversations, i.e. you see someone at a party that has a tattoo and you always wanted a tattoo, that can be a conversation starter. I remember right after reading this book, at my new job I was able to use these tactics and people at my work thought I was very sociable, while as most people at other places think I am "quiet". It was good!

The DC book is a good one! I read it a long time ago and should re-read it.

The second book sounds interesting too. Try to remember.

Unless I see someone needs a book badly, I don't mention it. People will think you're weird. In fact,I feel a little stigma even caught browsing that section at the book store - I always check if there are other people in the isle...

Which imo, is stupid, b/c I've read psych books and textbooks and have taken classes, and I've learned more about psychology, people and myself from the self help section than most psych majors/minors I know in all of their "official sources".

I completely agree. I think I naturally excel at psychology and I'm also surprised to see how much more knowledgeable I am on the field than they are. Of course, in their defense, I went to therapy and things too so I also have personal insight.

There is absolutely a "self help" stigma. They should write a book on how to get rid of it.

I always categorize all these scientific findings and popular ideas as "North American-ish". I feel boredom and the author always lose credibility when they slip in the current topics flowing around in the self-help realm and decide to make it a part of their chapter. In summary, I don't like authors who "did their homework", I like authors that discovered something by themselves and share it in their book.

Do you know Daniel Goleman? He's the author of a book called "Emotional Intelligence". He became popular from an idea that was originally from the scientific field and stole the idea.

I mean, Daniel Goleman. It's so not authoritative when you see someone like him preach about emotional intelligence. It's so bad.

Same thing with Malcolm Gladwell and his 10,000hr mastery idea. He took it from a researcher 3 decades ago.

So the other book I was talking about is called "The Power of Meeting New People" by Debra Fine.

Archived