How do I go about doing this without breaking his heart?

Okay, sorry to burden everyone on here with this issue, but I'm trying to devise ways to solve my current problem.

Okay, lets go back to like... Last summer. This guy S lives in NY and he attends college in my area. So we both liked eachother, but he wasn't ready to be in a realtionship with me. So when he got back to the area, he was ready, but I had started to date someone else from down here. Then I broke up with that guy, and I wasn't ready to date S, but we still hung out periodically. Well the last time we hung out we started to mess around. We talked afterwards about what I wanted, I didn't want to date anyone till I transfer colleges this year, and get settled. Well I found someone down here during the break. He was right under my nose the whole time. And I want him.

Now here comes my problem. S doesn't know about him, and I don't know how to break it to S that I don't want to be with him. I know I should tell him the truth, but I don't want to hurt him to much. And I still want to keep him as a friend.

Sorry if that was long, but I am kind of lost on what to do.