Education - Importance

Dear enotalone users,

I wanted to bring a topic into view: education.

1. What is education to you?

2. How important is it in your life?

3. What will it determine in your life?

4. What may a person without education lack?

5. Do you think people are properly informed of all the opportunities available to them?

6. Does this have anything to do with so many that don't know who they are or want to be regardless of their socioeconomic class?

7. Are most problems in the world caused by lack of education?

8. Do you do anything about this? Help others? Motivate? Inform? Why?

You don't have to answer the questions chronologically; just try to answer most of them if not all in a coherent manner so you can express yourself freely and with no strict schemes. J

Hope you can share your thoughts about education with all of us!

Lokagirla.

O this is a favorite one of mine! =)

Their are several types of education. During this post when I refer to education I will be referring to the formal education system that is most commonly in effect today. (BTW I live in the US).

I think education is a crock.

I think it is a system that controls, scares, and manipulates society.

I think that the only thing a person without education will deffinately lack is a piece of paper.

I think that all people are informed of the opportunities that exist, but I do not think that all people are offered those opportunities.

I believe that many of the world's problems stem from education, people are told that what they are taught at schools is infallible, absolute, pure; BUT the truth is, it is a person's view, very often their information is wrong!

I think it is ridiculous the importance that is put on formal education. I believe there are some lines of work, that yes you will need a lot of knowledge and information, BUT a degree does not prove that!

I think western education has been overly influenced by western religion, and that it has taken over the role that the church used to play. Now our education system tells us what they want us to know, they way they want us to know it, and it's right. In general, education today does not encourage free thought or real growth.

The US education system encourages you to grow and think, as long as its within their defined boundries.

I would like to clarify, I think that knowledge is wonderful, I think that research, thoughts and questions are magnificent. I believe in learning!!! I DO NOT agree with Americas education system.

that's my $0.02

A very interesting topic!

1. Education, for me, is everything. Knowledge dissipates doubts, mysticism and allows a rationnal understanding of things. It also the first and most important step toward lucidity.

2. VERY important. I constantly read and try to learn new things as everyday passes by. I'm also at University just now and intent to reach mastery in my domain.

3. Who I am, what I want, my realtionships, my dreams, my goals, everything (almost).

4. A chance to reach for her own perception of the world, a better understanding of what is and what might be.

5. That's kind of vague, I can't answer that.

6. I don't understand this statement (I'm not english speaking per see).

7. YES, I would be tempted to agree with that statement.

8. I try to share everything I know with others. Knowledge is power, so is sharing.

Hope you enjoyed that.

OmegaMan...

Thank you lokagirla for bringing this topic to the forum.

I share some of the same sentiments as MollyElise, however, my sister is a teacher, so I do support education to an extent. I think education is a great tool, but I feel that too much emphasis is put on it to, as MollyElise said, manipulate and scare students.

One of my major pet peeves about education is the continuous appraisal and forcefulness of college/university. Yes, a college education is a great tool, but no it is not going to determine if someone has a successful life or not. Taking my sister and myself for an example, she completed 4 years of college and is working on her masters while she teaches. She's in a secure job and makes the standard that a teacher does in our area. However, I completed one year of college and I am currently going back part time. I work in a law firm in DC and make quite a bit more than her, but with less education.

My point is that many times education does determine success in terms of salary, however, it is not the only determining factor. My decision to work full time and pay for myself to go to college part time was based on a few ideas. One being that I am not a school person, I couldn't wait to get out of high school(mainly because of some of the reasons MollyElise mentioned) and two because I felt I would better serve myself by gaining skills in the work force while at the same time learning other skills I could use to land my dream job. All the while making money and putting away for retirement. It's a personal choice, and it's the choice I made.

I once heard a quote that said everything I needed in life I learned in Kindergarden. I can see the point of this. However, I think more education is needed than that, and I think that one reason for problems with teenagers having babies and the like is a lack of education in that respect. So yes, I feel education is important. As MollyElise pointed out, America's education system is lacking, but does anyone have a way to reform it?

I feel that education is important to an extent, but I think some people take it too far and insist on everyone having a certain amount. I knew someone who is very successful in their career and didn't continue on with college. This person has a lot of skills, but are running into problems because the business they work for desires someone with more education. Now they have to prove that what they learned on the job is better than what someone learned in a classroom. And that is my point. Someone who has many years of experience learning through the work place itself could be looked over just because of a lack of education. I can understand it for some careers, but I think for others too much is expected.

All of this said, I do encourage people to go on to college if that is what they feel is right for them. But I think society needs to back down from pressuring all students to go to college because I think that's unfair. I do believe that everyone should finish high school though, but college is a choice that each person should be able to make.

That's enough out of me I think. I'm interested in seeing what others have to say!

DEBAAAATTTEE! (Not to worry, I'm only kidding...)

I know this probably not the first purpose of this thread but I would like to respond to some comments that were made here.

One of my major pet peeves about education is the continuous appraisal and forcefulness of college/university. Yes, a college education is a great tool, but no it is not going to determine if someone has a successful life or not. Taking my sister and myself for an example, she completed 4 years of college and is working on her masters while she teaches. She's in a secure job and makes the standard that a teacher does in our area. However, I completed one year of college and I am currently going back part time. I work in a law firm in DC and make quite a bit more than her, but with less education.

But that doesn't prove anything though. If you only consider Education as a tool, a way of making a lot of money, you are falling the very trap that you wish to avoid. Remember what Elise said?:

I believe that if your sole purpose of getting some education is to get as much money as possible, you have been manipulated by society by achieving the very goal it has set for you.

Criminals make a lot of money and they necessarily have a lot of education, but do they have a successful life? On the other end, I know people who have a doctorate in philosophy but work as selling clerks at minimal wages, sure they don't have much money, but they are educated and take full advantage of what they have learned.

However, I think more education is needed than that, and I think that one reason for problems with teenagers having babies and the like is a lack of education in that respect. So yes, I feel education is important. As MollyElise pointed out, America's education system is lacking, but does anyone have a way to reform it?

I agree with that, completely. Education does so much more than providing you money, so much more.

I feel that education is important to an extent, but I think some people take it too far and insist on everyone having a certain amount.

I belong to those people. Men fear what he doesn't understand and destroys what he fears. Education, information is what can dissipate this, prevent this. After all, isn't prevention exactly that, providing information, education, in order to prevent certain problematics that are caused by sheer ignorance.

This person has a lot of skills, but are running into problems because the business they work for desires someone with more education. Now they have to prove that what they learned on the job is better than what someone learned in a classroom. And that is my point. Someone who has many years of experience learning through the work place itself could be looked over just because of a lack of education. I can understand it for some careers, but I think for others too much is expected.

I agree this is unfair, academic education is a way of having a successful career. An education learned through years of professionnal experience should also be considered.

All of this said, I do encourage people to go on to college if that is what they feel is right for them. But I think society needs to back down from pressuring all students to go to college because I think that's unfair. I do believe that everyone should finish high school though, but college is a choice that each person should be able to make.

I believe whatever manual jobs remain will be replaced with machines over time. This has been happening since the industrial revolution and it will continue to happen I think. I encourage education and professionnal formation. But some might argue as to why should they finish High School if they don't have to do college?

Elise

I think that the only thing a person without education will deffinately lack is a piece of paper.

Wow, I don't agree with that. I would feel much more secure if with a doctor with a diploma then with one without.

I believe that many of the world's problems stem from education, people are told that what they are taught at schools is infallible, absolute, pure; BUT the truth is, it is a person's view, very often their information is wrong!

But that's not education, it's disinformation, two different things.

I think western education has been overly influenced by western religion, and that it has taken over the role that the church used to play. Now our education system tells us what they want us to know, they way they want us to know it, and it's right. In general, education today does not encourage free thought or real growth.

I won't make any judgement on this about the USA, but I don't feel like it is that way here in Canada.

Thank you to all for participating in this, I can't wait to read the other comments.

Omega maN

But that doesn't prove anything though. If you only consider Education as a tool, a way of making a lot of money, you are falling the very trap that you wish to avoid. Remember what Elise said?:

I believe that if your sole purpose of getting some education is to get as much money as possible, you have been manipulated by society by achieving the very goal it has set for you.

Criminals make a lot of money and they necessarily have a lot of education, but do they have a successful life? On the other end, I know people who have a doctorate in philosophy but work as selling clerks at minimal wages, sure they don't have much money, but they are educated and take full advantage of what they have learned.

I can see your point in this, however, the reason I stated the money issue is because that's the main basis I hear from people concerning achieving higher education. A friend of mine had a poster that had like a row of really nice, and really expensive, cars in a garage. And the poster said something like supporting higher education. Which of course read in simple terms "if you go to college, you can afford these cars." I didn't intend to base my entire argument on education should equal more money, that was just a point. In my experience, this is the main reason people have told me I "need" college. And that is one of the reasons I didn't go the normal way. I'd rather earn my living through experience on the job, not in a classroom, but that's just me.

I belong to those people. Men fear what he doesn't understand and destroys what he fears. Education, information is what can dissipate this, prevent this. After all, isn't prevention exactly that, providing information, education, in order to prevent certain problematics that are caused by sheer ignorance.

But do you require a formal education for this? Some lessons can be taught outside of formal education practices, and some people are just not as willing to learn. I fully support non-formal, personal education, and I do support formal to an extent. Just not to the extent that I feel EVERYONE should go to college.

But some might argue as to why should they finish High School if they don't have to do college?

And they have every right to argue that. I know of only one person who did not finish high school or get a GED and he is struggling. This, obviously, makes my opinion quite biased, but I do believe that a high school diploma gets one farther than not having one. I realize that college can do this as well, only I feel it is more in certain areas of degrees and not in all. Some people are just not scholastically inclined. Should they then struggle to get a job because they don't have the education others do? This goes for people without high school diplomas as well. It's a tough issue, and on some points, I admit to being on the fence.

Wow, I don't agree with that. I would feel much more secure if with a doctor with a diploma then with one without.

I've had one too many bad experiences with doctors to make me agree with this. Some of them, it really doesn't matter if they got a degree or not. But I do see your point in this. Just, not on the issues of doctors.

Quote:

If you will look at my statement, I did NOT say that a person with education has only gained a piece of paper. BUT that a person without a formal education can achieve all levels of knowledge that someone with an education can.

As to doctors, even with all that education, even with that piece of paper, they are still wrong sometimes, they still mess up, people still suffer miserably until they die.

AND on top of that, a doctor would not be a doctor without that piece of paper, that would defy the definition of a doctor.

K - I got more, but I have to get some work done today

Thanks to both of you for replying.

Quote:

As to doctors, even with all that education, even with that piece of paper, they are still wrong sometimes, they still mess up, people still suffer miserably until they die.

I could not agree with you more on this statement. I have experienced such a loss first hand. And it is a valid point.

Be that as it may, this isn't the issue here. Never once have I stated that a doctor doesn't make mistakes. Everyone makes professionnal mistakes, that's a given of human nature.

If you will look at my statement, I did NOT say that a person with education has only gained a piece of paper. BUT that a person without a formal education can achieve all levels of knowledge that someone with an education can.

Yes, you are indeed right. I didn't read correctly. I guess I was to eager to confront such a weak argument if what I had read first had been what you meant. I stand corrected.

I agree with you about this statement.

As I've said, although I do agree with this, it is not what this discussion is about though.

AND on top of that, a doctor would not be a doctor without that piece of paper, that would defy the definition of a doctor.

By the way is there really a need for the CAPITAL LETTERS. I trust we can all understand each other without the use of that.

You're just playing on semantics. A doctor can exist even if he doesn't have a degree. We could still use the expression ``Doctor`` for someone who treats patients in a given situation even if he doesn't have a degree. It would perhaps be unappropriate, but it would still be the best expression to use to represent the caracteristics that he represents.

What I said was simply that I would feel more secure to deal with a doctor with a degree than with another who is still learning his way by experimenting. That is all.

Well, that's about it. Again, thank you for your ideas, I enjoyed reading them.

Omega maN

• 6 months later...

I have two points to contribute to this debate:

1 With respect to MollyElise's statement, I beg to disagree : "I did NOT say that a person with education has only gained a piece of paper. BUT that a person without a formal education can achieve all levels of knowledge that someone with an education can.

After high school, I went on to study music, but I wanted also to be a well rounded person and decided to go on reading a lot about different subjects, many academic subjects in fact such as : biology, sciences (i.e. Scientific American), sociology and psychology, literature and philosophy.

When I realised that being a professional musician was way too difficult, because of competition (there are TONS of good singers), I went back to university to study psychology and literature.

I then realised that there were a lot of subjects that I had skipped because of lack of interest, many interesting and important subjects. There are so many things I would have skipped if I hadn't completed my degrees.

IN OTHER WORDS, when you try to educate yourself at home, by going to the library, etc, even if you think you are getting a well rounded education, in fact you chose the subjects you want to read according to your own subjective disposition. When you go to university, you are obliged to read and study all the basics in your field and only then you may be capable to really adopt an approach or a theory that may be closer to reality.

EXAMPLE : Let's say that you like one branch of psychology, behaviorism. For sure, if you study on your own, you will tend to read books that reinforce the beliefs that you have already acquired and this will not really give you a different perspective on the world.

Now, if you take psychology in college, then you have to read about all the major theories and then you are in a better position to make an informed choice. For this reason, I don't think it is very easy to get a well rounded education on your own.

2. Education does not make you a better person. Most problems of aggression, envy, destruction of others, abuse, derive from psychological and affective problems. They are barely linked to rationality. Education is mostly rational and does not solve people's emotional problems.

Everybodys ideas are informative and insightful.

my question is ,

what is education supposed to teach to help prepare you for the world?

Some things in education don't always provide you skills that you need to learn to obtain a job or learn how to buy your first hpouse and so on .

I would lovbe to know.

Certain OI learned in college cannot be always be applied to the workforce or somewhat.

Then again I hear people

complaining that they feel they wasted four years down the drain in getting a job with good pay to their advantage.

So what gives ? Who wins this war ? The uneducated and employed or the educated and employed or not employed?

Education is unimportant, or should be unimportant.

People should not need education to be more employable, because education is not available to all and because education does not make you a better person.

There is no war between educated and uneducated people. There is no moral obligation to be educated. You are free to do whatever you choose to do as long as you don't hurt anyone. If you don't want to study, you are not hurting anyone, thereforeeee it is not wrong to remain uneducated.

Besides, not everybody is intellectually curious, not everybody feel the need to understand things. Those who wish to do it, are free to do so. If you don't want to study and learn, you are free not to do it.

Educated people have no right to criticize those who chose not to educate themselves, those who prefer employment rather than education. They are exercising their constitutional freedom and nobody has the right to trespass upon their liberty.

Those who are not educated should not feel inferiorized by those who have "degrees" etc. All the "educated" people who debase others are primitive and obviously have not really integrated knowledge.

A lot of people acquire degrees and education with the sole purpose of feeling superior to others and even debasign others. They have emotional problems. They have no right to do this.

Well, here goes,

Education is neither good nor bad, crock or conspiracy. It is merely a free choice. Should education by defined as literacy or PhD? That's up to you, what you want out of life and how you choose to achieve it. While the benefits of receiving a college education are obvious to many folks there are those who defy the odds and achieve unbelievable success as the high school grad and in some cases the dropout. We've all heard the success stories. And even then ones own definition of success still applies.

Education can be a good choice for some and a not so good choice for others. The world we live in would never function properly (not to say it is functioning properly) if it were not for the blend of uneducated, poorly educated, properly educated and highly educated people in our communities. I'm Mexican American and I can't wait to see the movie A Day Without Mexicans! People, regardless of their intellect deserve to have choices, make them freely and be respected as long as they aren't hurting anyone.