Had my appraisal-they said I need to show more interest

Ive been working at this company as an administrator for about a month and i had a review of things the other day. They said it was going fine but they did have a few concerns...one is that i don't seem to show enough interest in the company and what i'm doing....they said they have no idea what area of business i want to pursue. Its a very small company so i have been doing work in several areas but i haven't shown enthusiasm or a spark inany particular area.

I'm quite a shy person so i suppose i don't show much enthusiasm, curiosity and interest, particularly with people i don't know very well. And to be honesty, obviously i wouldn't say this to them, but i'm not too sure myself what career i want to pursue, i don't even know if this is the right career for me. Does anyone know what i could do to help with their concerns?

Thanks

You have to think of what image you want to project to them. What you do now, even if you are unsure of this job, will follow you other places.

Always do the best you can for you. It isn't about the job, it is about the self confidence and work ethic you have.

You don't have to take in interest in the work they give you, just the work that you give back.

Hope that helps!

I would recommend showing concern for things occurring in the business. Use your best judgement, but why not ask people (in a caring rather than nosey manner) how specific things are going. Ask how various projects are progressing or if certain problems were resolved. Again, this takes some judgement calls as to whether it is appropriate to ask about certain things (also taking into consideration your timing, present company, and even the manner you do so.) But I think this shows a general interest.

Also, know about the company. Take the time to read and know what's going on. If you are clueless of certain things, it may read to your supervisors that you don't care. I would also think that it's acceptable to ask questions when discussing things. "Now is this related to the project just completed last year?" Rather than knowing just enough to do what you need to do, make sure you understand the whole system.

Finally, I think it's hard to know what area we are interested in. Would it be unappropriate to be honest with your boss? "I am not sure which area interests me more, but can I try a project in area X to get a better feel?"

And in the end, Scout is right. If nothing excites you, maybe this isn't the right company for you!