Credit Card Issues....

Hey everyone,

I am looking for a credit card and frankly, it's driving me batty. My options are limited because I am a student with almost no credit, but I want to find a credit card that gives some airline rewards without being all shady with redeeming points and whatnot..

any ideas?

thanks ahead of time...

P.S. I wouldnt' be using it to make any major purchases, but rather just using it to pay the bills I would usually just write a check for, so that I can start building up my credit..

Are you going to a university? My university has credit card flyers and credit card people that come by on campus that sign people up for cards. I signed up for one last year and I still have it.

Unfortunately, since you have almost no credit you really can't choose to be picky. I suggest just getting a student credit card and building up your credit and applying for the airline ones later.

Hey rajabah thanks for the reply...

I'm not sure if credit card people have come ot my campus.. they probably have, but then I probably missed them. I think you're right, I'll probably just have to settle for a basic card for now.. fooey...

Hey everyone,

I am looking for a credit card and frankly, it's driving me batty. My options are limited because I am a student with almost no credit, but I want to find a credit card that gives some airline rewards without being all shady with redeeming points and whatnot..

any ideas?

thanks ahead of time...

P.S. I wouldnt' be using it to make any major purchases, but rather just using it to pay the bills I would usually just write a check for, so that I can start building up my credit..

Get one with a low fixed rate, and no annual fee. Don't get one with a variable or low introductory rate.

Depends where you live. Each country has differing deals with credit cards and some countries such as Canada are more "cashless" and accepting of credit cards. I use mine for everything and have since I had them. But I always pay off my credit cards and never spend more than I can afford. Start with a small limit say $500 and use it as often as you can to build your credit but always pay it off.

What country do you live in?

If it's canada, go with a TD GM Visa. They hand them out like candy to students. It was both mine and my sister's first credit card. Or, try MBNA Platinum. I told them I was a student and they gave me one with a low 10% annual rate with no annual fee.

I would recommend staying away from the rewards cards at this point. They usually have a high annual fee for those with little or no credit.

Your other option is go to the bank you do your day to day banking with and talk to them. If you have a good history with them, they'll approve you no problem.

I'm a pseudo expert on these matters, I have 7 credit cards *rolls eyes*

I found a card through my bank(US Bank). It works out great because it's built into my online banking, so paying it and monitoring it is as simple as clicking a button. I started a year and a half ago with a $300 limit. Now it's up to $3300. I just put all of my expenses on their and pay it all off at the end of the month. It gives me 1 point per dollar I spend which turns into a negligibly small amount of cash back (roughly 5 dollars per 1k) or some hokey gift rewards. The APR on it is pretty high, but like I said I pay it off right away so it doesnt matter. No annual fee either, which is important.