Degree accreditation

I've been doing a lot of research on online universities because I'm sick to death of my home university. I work a lot and I'm very motivated with schoolwork, so its important to me to find a reputable distance ed university to finish my liberal arts degree at.

I've narrowed it down to two schools now: one is very affordable and is accredited by the DETC, which means it is also nationally accredited by the US Department of Education.

The other school's tuition costs almost three times more, but it is regionally accredited through the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.

I know that regional accreditation is primo and that national accreditation is often considered sub par in comparison. But I've also read that most employers still respect national accreditation enough to hire people with those degrees.

I don't plan to change universities again and would probably continue my graduate studies with either school. The curriculum looks identical between the schools.

Would it be a bad idea to go with the cheaper school? I was actually leaning toward the more expensive one, but I know I will have to take out loans for it. Would regional accreditation be worth the extra ten or fifteen grand in the long run?

• 1 month later...

I'm glad to hear that you are being careful about choosing a university because some employers don't like certain ones. My advice to you would be to ask the cooperation or agency you ultimately would like to work for. Then, maybe you can make a clear decision on this.

Good looking out....I think more people should be aware of this..........

Thanks for the replies! I finally came to a decision about this when I found a more affordable and flexible regionally accredited college. It takes some time searching, but they're out there. I would have gone with the DETC school if I hadn't found it, though. It seems the rumors of DETC degrees not being accepted by employers is greatly exaggerated, at least in my field. Academia is another story though. I hear its harder to get teaching positions at regionally accredited schools with a DETC degree.

I'm going for a psychology degree. It interests me, plus just having a BA will open doors to grad school and higher paying positions at the company where I work. The program isn't APA endorsed, although I'm finding that a whole lot of them aren't endorsed out there. I hope that doesn't haunt me if I wanted to pursue clinical work/ education in psychology later on...?