i'm usually the silent one or the one asking questions

whenever my classmates talk about sports. My background is not sports related..I used to watch football games but never had the interest to ask questions about it nor actually played on a pee wee football team. What is the best way to gain knowledge in sports besides knowing which team won or lost? Should I watch ESPN Sportscenter or go to ESPN online? Read the newspaper? I try to do that but the information seems to go in one ear and out the other. Now, something like the Canseco's book has captured my attention enough that if brought up in a conversation, I could put my two cents in. But the game-by-game details, which guy is being drafted, which guy would look great with a certain team because of his stats..

I'm lost there.

I used to be like that too, then I got into fantasy sports. The concept of it is that you buy players with money to build your own team (They can be from different teams) and you earn points by how well they do (And compete among other players). What it did to me was that it made me read on sports more to find out about players, games, schedules, trades, drafts, etc...

What's better to learn about something and have fun doing it right?