Nursing School

Hello All!

SO, I am currently taking my pre-req courses to apply to nursing programs. Frankly, I'm not exactly EXPECTING to get in my first time applying as the competition is RIDICULOUSLY high!

My question is...what do I do in the meantime to wait to get in? The schools I am looking at don't have waitlists, but are just impacted and selective.

Thank you!!!

I'm looking at doing the same thing, hopefully starting in August here in Missouri. I have to take the ACT tomorrow.

Do you work or volunteer in a health-related field? I work as a receptionist in a doctor's office, and that really helps me to be totally immersed in medicine.

I would think also that anything that you could do that was of service to others would be worth your time as well, if you didn't do anything medically related ... for example, I coach my son's Little League team and try to give some time to helping out at the food pantry, etc.

Hope this helps

im in the same boat as you guys....i've decided to minor in nutrition or psychology or child development as i wait. I know some of my other friends are majoring in those field while they wait and if nursing doesn't work out, then they have something else to fall back on.

Do you have any CNA (Nursing Assistant) training programs in your area? They run anywhere from only 2 weeks to 2 months, and that way you can find a job as a nursing assistant until you get into nursing school.

I became a nursing assistant before I was thinking about applying to nursing school, and 2 years later I'm still working as a nursing assistant and love it. It is a VERY flexible job to have, especially when you're in school. I ended up going to school for something else, but I have never regretted my decision in becoming a nursing assistant.

what kind of responsibilties do you have as a CNA?

It depends on what kind of setting you work in - hospitals, nursing home, assisted living facilities, home health, etc.. but they are basically the same duties/responsibilities.

I work in assisted living, where we have residents who range from independent, ones who need some assistance, and those with dementia who need a lot of care. I work both 7-3 and 3-11 shift and I am responsible for getting the residents ready in the morning/ready for bed, assisting with hygiene, taking blood sugars and vital signs, transporting residents to and from meals, etc. There is also some downtime to be with the residents one-on-one and do activites, paint their nails, play cards, etc.

It really is a good experience, because in the first year of nursing school you are going be doing a lot of aide work (bathing, toileting, etc.) while in your clinical experience, so you will be ahead of the game (at least for the first year anyway) because you will have already had experience as a CNA.

Hope this helped, and let me know if you have any more questions.

I agree that starting out as a nursing assistant is a good idea. I became a nursing assistant a few years ago, and its a good way to shadow your major and make sure its what you really want to do. It takes a special person to do the stuff we do and its not for everyone. So that would be my advice.

Also, I spent some time volunteering at a hospital and that will look really good on your application until you can get a job at a hospital.

I dropped out of nursing school because I wasnt sure if I wanted to do it forever and Ive been working at a hospital for 8 years.

Feel free to forward any questions to me as well. good luck

ps. im reapplying to nursing school now that im sure i want to do it and i couldnt be happier

Archived