How do I drop hints to him?

Nothing works like the old fashioned flirting! Just talk to him alot, be friendly, maybe even get a little physical in the sense of giving him hugs on occasion - He'll figure it out.

If that all doesn't seem to get him to ask you there's nothing saying he has to ask you out! Take a chance, there's no time like the present.

Okay, your situation sounds really similar, so don't make the mistake that I did.

I remember I used to have the biggest crush on this guy in high school, but never had the nerve to talk to him, and when he spoke to me, I would just shy away. In otherwords, don't shy away. Time spent in high school does fly fast, so don't do things that you'll regret later, things that you wished you would've done but didn't.

Anyway, use your whit and charm. Smile at him, say, "hey, what's up? Can I borrow a pen?" Say something superficial, sometimes you need to in order to strike up converstation, sush as "gosh, I'm hungry, but I don't know what to eat, cuz cafeteria food smells is so disgusting"...

Give a little, pull back, and then let him do the talking.