Does anyone know of any good websites out there that have information regarding that field of work (present day)?

Lately I have taken up an interest in astronomy, though more or less as a hobby. Music is definitely a big part of my life, and a hopeful career, but I was just curious as to how...risky..astronomy work is as a professional career would go. Generally, does it pay well ("well" meaning "can make a decent living at it"), or is it one of those hit-or-miss types?

Science usually isn't my thing, and I may be going through a phase of some some sort (as I am still young), but whatever.

Ok, I just read up on link removed's forum and realized that it would not be me professionally. Lots of math and skills in physics are required, which I am far from being interested in. I'll just keep it as a hobby for now.

I don't know of any websites right off the bat, but my understanding is that Astronomers aren't the most abundant and highly paid professionals out there. I've read that since most of these jobs are government jobs they are more prone to cuts since it makes up a tiny percentage of the work force. Just look at all the cuts that NASA had to make due to lack of Federal funding.

It is a cool field/subject, but I'm assuming that it would require additional schooling - possibly up to the PhD level especially if you are going to be involved in research. That being said, I'm pretty sure it would require a great deal of math and physics, which I can totally relate to.

Just don't get into a job because of the money. True, today's economy isn't as great as it used to be and with all the high prices of a simple cost of living, it is tempting to just get a nice paying job to make ends meet. Do something that you are passionate about and as gay as this sounds, you'll find it more rewarding than a high paying job that you may become miserable with. Besides, if you are really good at something and passionate about it, you could do some consulting or even start your business, etc.

In any case, good luck with what you do.