Coast Guard ??

I only have one more year of High School to go and I was thinking about joining the Coast Guard. Has anyone ever been a member of the Coast Guard ? I need to talk to someone who's been there so they could tell me what their experince was with the Coast Guard. If anyone has any info or if you know someone that went to the Coast Guard. Talk to them and ask them about it.

• 5 weeks later...

You can probably find some info on the internet about where your nearest coastguard is, maybe take a trip there and talk to the coastguards.

Alternatively, you could look on the net for interviews with coastguards and find a lot of info about peoples opinions and stuff.

Hope you find what you are looking for and sorry it took so long for someone to reply!

abcd1234

Hello,

I've never been in the Coast Guard, but I am a recruiter for the Vermont Army Guard, and while there is a large difference in the activities that are done in the Coast Guard, the physical requirements, mental requirements, and duties to the nation.

Being that you said you were a senior in High School, I figure you're about 18 years old, which means that you have a lot of things that you're about to encounter in life; college, military, entering the work-force, etc. The FIRST thing you need to ask yourself is what YOU want. This can't be influenced by what your family wants you to do, or your teachers, or even friends. What sparked your interest in the Coast Guard?

If you're thinking about the physical requirements of the Coast Guard, I'm sure they must be very similar to the requirements of the Guard, which for you would be as follows:

35 Pushups

47 Sit-ups

16:36 Two Mile Run

These are the scores that you would need to obtain and exceed in order to graduate from the Army's basic training. This test is at the end of the 11 weeks at basic, so you've been training for it for the entire time there. My advice to you is to see if you can't secure those numbers before you even ship to any basic training that will mean that you're building off of those numbers, which in turn means that you will be beyond that, which is a sure way to do well on your PT (physical training) test.

You are tested on that yearly, APFT (annual physical fitness test), after basic, but you have a full year to prepare for each one.

But that shouldn't make your decision. As I said above, you need to decide what YOU want from your life. The military will not eliminate college for you, in fact if you are interested in school also, you need to mention that to the recruiter too, and make sure it's clear that you plan on going, and having the military help with that. If you feel inspired to join any faction of the military, you should sit down with a local recruiter. Recruiters are not like they were when your parents were at your age. They are sales people, it's their job to put people into the military, don't misunderstand me, but they will be honest and open with you if you do the same to them.

I'm not sure what the bonuses are for the Coast Guard, I know that you can get up to $8,000 for different jobs in the Guard. When the recruiter tries to tell you about bonuses, simply tell him that that's the last thing that you're worried about right now, because while eight grand seems like a boat load of cash right now, it will be very insignificant in the long run (compared to your happiness with your job in the military).

If you have any military related questions you can feel free to e-mail me directly at:

robert.dulude@us.army.mil

Enjoy.