Night club Photography

XkatieX

How did you manage that? Did someone approach you and ask? Have you been doing photography for long? What kind of camera do you have? Are there a lot of clubs where you live? Are you gonna have to edit the photos and upload them to a website or give them to the manager to upload or are you gonna manage your own website? Do you need to watermark each one? How much are you gonna get paid?

Sorry for all the questions. I really wanna get into this as well. Apologies for not being able to answer your questions either, I haven't a clue.

Its not for definate yet, and doubt I would be getting paid (unfortunately!) as its being organised through my boyfriend who djs and has been asked to set up a weekly night. I studied photography at college and as im now at uni (studying something completely unrelated) would like to take it up just as a hobby really!

due to money restraints I dont actually own my own dslr but do have quite a good grasp of the settings and how everything works. The camera I would be using is a friends, I know its a nikon but the model escapes me, so ill have to get back to you on that one!

Ive read that a flashgun is essential however I know he doesn't own one would this be of a great disadvantage or is it possible to shoot just with the built in flash??

Generation - Are there many clubs near by you? as if its something your interested in check out their websites and look to see if their recruiting, this is how my friend found her job as a photographer.

Personally, I hate the look of built in flashes on cameras. They are harsh and will undoubtedly create ugly shadows that will make the images worse. Perhaps if you can diffuse the flash in some way if thats the only one available to you (a piece of paper in front of the flash can help). An external flash allows you to bounce the flash off a the ceiling, a wall, or other diffusers.

Just about the camera, well, you are going to want to use as fast a lens as possible, if you have something that opens up to f2.8 or wider, that would be good, but otherwise you are probably going to stay as wide open as possible. ISO you are going to need to boost the ISO as high as you can without introducing too much noise into the picture. Possibly 1600. Shutter speed is going to depend on everything else, but if you are trying to stop motion, you want as fast as you can, as long as you are still exposing the scene properly. If you dont need to stop the motion, use a tripod, a lower ISO and then go from there (of course anything that moves will be blurry)

Good luck!