Online/Distance Learning Photography Courses?

serenity25

I've been searching for online/distance learning courses in photography, and was wondering if anyone out there has any personal experience or recommendations. Preferable I'm looking for courses of quality that won't cost a fortune. I'd greatly appreciate any information or advice. O

Honestly I know so many photographers that learned just from belonging to other photography forums and none of them have any sort of photography schooling. It's helpful I'm sure but with the amount of information and photographers on the net you'll probably find interacting with them just as valuable, asking questions, posting and reading up on photography. The rest is practice of course. Just some sites I recommend.

Photography basics: link removed

Great forum: link removed

Good review site & forum: link removed

Another good photo review site: link removed

Great photo gallery site: link removed

Photography itself isn't hard to learn, there's only so many terminology to describe how photography works but the rest is really up to the photographer on how he/she takes pictures. I always remember when someone mentioned years ago, it's not the camera that takes good pictures, it's the person taking it

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I am doing a distance learning photography degree. It was going really well and I was enjoying every second of it until a few weeks ago, when I split up with my husband! The course has therefore gone by the wayside for the moment, but my enthusiasm for it will be back soon, I'm sure.

I would definitely recommend distance learning, as long as you pick a good college. In my case, the course materials they've sent me are beautifully presented and well thought out. Tutorial support is via email and is very comprehensive.

EDIT: Just read the above post. I was self-taught, and am self-employed (just a few hours a week) as a freelance photographer. I chose to do the course because I love to learn new things, and I found it useful in that it consolidated the knowledge I already had, and taught me to consider things from different perspectives / mindsets too.