How to Focus

Dougie_D

I think I have trouble focusing on one thing. I think that's why I can't succeed in anything.

I want to write a song but I can never finnish it. I've written songs before but I don't put 100% in it. I'll just rush it to get it over with. I can't relax...at all.

I also want to write a screenplay but I can't do it. I'll tell myself that I will start on it but I never do.

Even with television, I have a hard time. I'll switch channels too much...I don't sit down, I'm standing up...because I just can't get myself to sit down and do it.

I'll be in situations where I'll play guitar, watch T.V, use the Internet, play a Video game...all in about an Hour's worth....but just getting aggravated because there is nothing that get's my attention. When I play guitar...I'll stop and wonder why I am even playing....because I'm not in a band!

Do I need to take drugs...or do I need something else?

I don't want to go to the hospital.

I need something that will let me focus on one thing...and ONE thing only.

Thanks ---

Have you tried going somewhere to write? For example, if you go to a library, or a coffee shop, and spend an hour there writing. Without distractions, it's a lot easier to focus on one thing.

As for guitar, I would hope that you're playing it because you like creating music. If you're only doing something because you only want the end result, then that may be your problem -- you should do things because you like doing them, not because you like the attention/money/etc that the result will bring. Maybe you could find something that you really like doing, and concentrate on that?

Yeah, I have the same problem, ever since childhood. I think it's an actual mental condition called Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD).

I dunno, maybe it's something worth seeing a doctor about. My parents have suggested the same thing, but I'm not sure if my ADD is severe enough to warrant a visit to the doc.

Has anyone done that before? Or has anyone visited a doctor about any mental condition at all? What are the results?

Archived