ASIAN/WHITES: Do you feel rejected in America?

the_final

I would say I look like a mix of Mexican/(Chinese/Japanese/Vietnamese/whatever these ignant white people think of a person with slanted eyes and not even mentioning Korean even though they fought a war over there, which I am really Korean)/White person.

I have had dumb white people speak Spanish to me. I have had people call me Jet Li. I have had people call me Hawaii, which I liked because its different. I have had people call me Jacki Chan, Bruce Lee, and assume I have a small penis.

Friends, I think its hard for me to make friends in this white town. It's hard to make friends with whole blood Asians because they seem different. They talk in languages I can't speak. They act different. Its a whole different culture. I tried. It's hard making friends with white people because I'm a different color. I feel white, I grew up around here. My accent is a mix of California, Texan, Ebonics, hell I can even do the Asian accent. I walk with my white friends and I look at the window reflection, I'm different, and they call me Jet Li or a Buddhist monk, or whatever is Asian. I'm different from them. Its hard making friends with Black people. They seem totally different. Different music. Different tastes and likes. Just different. Its a little easy making friends with Mexicans because I look like them a little, but there aren't many Mexicans that I have met, just a few, that are white cultured, that is rock music, and all the stuff white people do.

Girls, I've tried dating another half breed. It didn't work out.

Did my parents screw me over?

I work at a Chinese Restaurant, I don't like those people, they're mean. The white dude is always trying to pick up the Asian girl, so thats out of the question.

I feel like I don't belong to this society. I feel like an outcast, a loner.

Um...ALL white people aren't dumb and closed-minded and bigoted. Really. I think cross-categorically there are bigoted, predudicial people of all races. There are more and more mixed race people as time goes on...I think it's cool. I work in a very diverse elementary school. One of our kindergarteners has a hispanic/white mother and a biracial father...it's like someone stirred the "melting pot" and created the cutest kid on the planet. He has HUGE brown eyes and dimples that would knock your socks off...(they do..we practically say AWWWW when he walks into the office) I am pretty sure as time goes on people are going to be so mixed that it will take bigots and jerks too much time to dissect which of the 27 races someone might be to even bother to pick on them. If one of my WHITE kids marries any other race..I have no problem with it...I could have grandchildren of all shades. The important thing would be that they were my family. You DO belong to this society. THings are changing. You just are focusing on the closed-minded.

They aren't worth letting yourself feel like an outcast or a loner...see my quote at the bottom of the page....!!!!!

I guess this is one post that I can actually say something about. I'm a mix of Chinese/British-Italian and I grew up facing a lot of the same issues-- feelings of not belonging, pain from rejection from half my heritage, anger at my parents for making me what I am. It took me a long time to finally be okay with myself.

The thing is, yes, people do love to label others-- but that's their problem. Let them label. Whatever. They can't control WHO YOU ARE, or what YOU want to be. You'll always be you, regardless of what blood flows in your veins. By telling yourself you're screwed over...you're already shooting yourself in the foot...you're letting their labels own your life. You're human like the rest of us...the only thing keeping you away from 'society' is the roadblocks you place in front of yourself.

You'll find people out there who don't care about ethnicity, and rather will judge you by your strength of character.

Otherwise look up HAPA groups out there...they deal with these sorta issues.

IThe thing is, yes, people do love to label others-- but that's their problem. Let them label. Whatever. They can't control WHO YOU ARE, or what YOU want to be. You'll always be you, regardless of what blood flows in your veins. By telling yourself you're screwed over...you're already shooting yourself in the foot...you're letting their labels own your life. You're human like the rest of us...the only thing keeping you away from 'society' is the roadblocks you place in front of yourself.

You'll find people out there who don't care about ethnicity, and rather will judge you by your strength of character.

Amen ! Awesome post.

i am white and i am not ignorant or dumb and i do not make stereotypes of anyone..so possibly rethink who you are friends with or who you associate yourself with, and if someone labels you, correct them in a nice polite way, i promise they will think twice before doing it again

How are you any different from the so called "stupid" white people with the things you've said in your post.

If you act like you should be treated differently, people will treat you differently. I have a wide variety of friends, color, nationality, political views, upbringing, we all have our differences. What brings us together? We look at what we share, we treat each other with respect and enjoy discussion of things we don't agree on.

You can't expect others to be friendly if you call them stupid, you can't make friends if you don't even let them try.

Quit being so hung up on how you look. By the sounds of things you are segregating yourself as much as anyone else is seperating you. And you too an generalising and sterotyping all other races by the colour of their skin.

whole blood Asians because they seem different

I walk with my white friends and I look at the window reflection, I'm different,

Its hard making friends with Black people. They seem totally different. Different music. Different tastes and likes

You are not helping the situation by saying they seem different I wont make friends. As you said you "feel white", and "white culture" being rock music, and black people listen to something different. What about the band Kill Switch Engage there a metal band and the lead singer is black,I know many black people who love rock music.

The best way to have others treat you how you want is treat them the same way.

On the issue of your "friends" calling you names that you do not like, tell them to stop it. If they are true friends then they will, if you let it persist they will think its ok with you and will carry on.

I hope you can feel a part of society soon, and things change for you.

Jon

I'm also White/Korean. I don't really find living like this hard or anything; I love the fact that I'm Asian so I can boast to my friends stereotypes like I'm good at ping-pong (true) and I'm good at math (true). In fact, one of my very best friends approached me because I was asian. My martial arts place is run by hardcore Koreans and I'm pretty sure they like me because I'm Korean as well.

Maybe it's just where you live. I live in an area with a huge latino and caucasian population, with not so many asians.

Also, If people are saying crap about you because you're asian, just remember they're jealous of your math and ping-pong skills. If they're not willing to see you for who you are then they're not worth your time.

• 9 months later...

I followed your thread from your reply to the post "Well She's 17 and I'm 32" by "Asianstyle6969"

Your reply to him was "Are you Black?". I wasn't sure what to make of that so I wanted to understand why that question and it led me to this posting:

After reading it I was amused at first, then saddened for you.

I will try to summarize my reply:

1. Do you loath your race and yourself? (A clarence Thomas or Ward Connolly in the making?)

2. White Pleople are not "ignant"(Ignorant?) or dumb; Joe blow or Plane Jane may be dumb and or

ignorant, so could Jose, Abdullah, Ming, Byung... you get my point.

3. Frineds,it seems to me you are the one passing judgements. You Don't have:

-"...Whole blooded Asians...seem different, talk and act different..."

-"...white Frineds...because you are different color"

-"...Black...seem totally different, different music, tastes and likes, just different"

(just weired you meant to say?)

4. -You have mexican friends only because you look a little like them, but " only if they are white

cultured and like rock music".

5.- Can't date another hafl-breed (was she a Chimera by any chance, Echidna maybe?) because the last

one didn't last (so is about 50% of marriages, they are not all accross cultures, let alone

mixed/half breeds)

So you have reached the conclusion: " ...feel rejected in America?"

Too bad you can't move to:

-Mexico..."They are not white culture,... don't have rock music, heck you will have to learn Salsa

or cumbia oh wait Cumbia is Puerto Rican, that's a fighting word for some Puerto Ricans,

to call Cumbia a Mexian or Cuban music.

-China..."Those people are mean, remember"

-Korea..."Amerasians have problem there, epecially if they have dark skin like back and well,

-mexicans.,,I am sure that is beginning to chagne now"

- Hawaii, maybe since it is still America there, you can get rock music there and can even pass for white, cuturally and in mannerisms

Hey buddy, worry about thing you can change, like not obssessing over your reflection when you walk with your "white friends". I hate to guess what you see in the mirrow

Learn to accept your racial heritage(you alreday have white cuture), people already like you for you

Archived