Working from Home

Studies show telecommuters are more productive .. so I would not worry about it.

I have been self-employed most of my life and do have some insight into the pitfalls of which you fear.

My first suggestion is set aside a room for work only. That will help keep you focused on work. Leave that room to got the bathroom, eat, take managed breaks only.

Another thing, if you set aside a whole room, and you live in US, your accountant may be able to help you to compute percentage cost of room as a fraction of total space paid for by your rent or mortgage - and deduct it as an unpaid employee expense. So that's a raise!!

Congrats on the change. Embrace it, I say. Don't worry.

And the hermit thing. If you are extroverted - that is, you get your energy from interacting with others -- then yes, you will have to plan substitutes for social interaction to keep sane.

Will you be interacting with people over the phone and Internet while working?

Are there any social groups you have been intersted in but didn't avve time because of the loss of time commuting?

What are your interests apart from work? Are there potential social dimensions to these?

most of my communication with co-workers will be on-line.

I love to go hang out with friends, but at the same time I absolutey love having couch potato weekends when I stay in my jammies all weekend (hence me online on a saturday night!) So far I;m planning on working out on my lunch breaks and hopefully going to the gym at least twice a week. Unfortunately, people keep asking me how long that's going to last

most of my communication with co-workers will be on-line.

Will you still have a desk at work? How often will you be called to the office for training, meetings, casuals?

I love to go hang out with friends, but at the same time I absolutey love having couch potato weekends when I stay in my jammies all weekend

Well, now that you won't be working you may not feel like jammying on weekends so much. At first you may have to force feed yourself some changes ... but after a while (they say it take s 3-4 weeks to develop a new habit) it will come more easily.

So far I'm planning on working out on my lunch breaks and hopefully going to the gym at least twice a week. Unfortunately, people keep asking me how long that's going to last

Tell them it will last as long as you want it to!! The gym is a great idea because you will get out. And the exercise will help keep your neurochemistry and physical body well and mind happy. You'll start looking better and feeling better and with more energy on weekends!! Just force it on yourself now that you are your own boss during the day!! After a month or so it will be hard to stop, I'm guessing.

But there is not much social interaction at the gym unless you join a class - like yoga or martial arts or something. What about that? Are you interested in something like that?

I can be called into the office about once a month, but for the most part, all meetings are conferenced in. There's no training scheduled for the next year or so when we switch to a new system.

As for the gym, as weird as it sounds, I probaly won't sign up for any classes until I feel a little better about myself. I may even just go to a friend's house to work out once in a while (she has a full gym, tanning bed, hot tub, & swimming pool), but since she has 2 babies I;d still be working out alone. Once summer gets here I playvolleyball once a week with co-workers so that will get me out once in a while.

Part of me is really excited about this new "adventure" and part of me is terrified. I just keep telling myself that if I hate it, I'll just have to get a promotion so I can go back into the office

Archived