My secret eating binge

scarew

I have been trying SO hard to eat heathy this pregnancy. I think a little too hard. I couldn't take it any more so I secretly got into my car to do "errands" and ate a bunch of fast food and sweets. I feel like a restricting/binging eating disordered woman all over again (I had problems with bulimia years ago).

I feel so insane. Why do I feel like I have to keep it a secret? Why am I getting obsessed with control until Im uncontrollable?

I had to tell someone what a freak I am. Thanks for listening.

Your body is probably telling you that you need the calories. Having some sweets and a little junk food is just fine. Please don't feel bad about it. You just need to eat a balanced diet to make sure you get all the nutrients you and the baby need.

There is no need to hide this or feel bad about it. If you are getting your fruits, veggies, and protein and you want to top it all off with a milkshake then go right ahead and do it.

Try to not judge yourself too harshly scarew. Here, get this for appalling pregnancy diet: I've been feeling nauseous non-stop since Friday last week, after a week of it coming and going. The thought of food makes me really queasy but I also know that eating is the only thing likely to quell the sea-sickness to any degree. But nothing, no matter how bland, is manageable or puts a dent in my queasy hunger. Except McDonalds. I have found that the simple McDonalds cheeseburger is just what the doctor ordered. I feel better after eating it, and I enjoy eating it. Mmmm. This after barely touching Macca's for years. I tell myself it's protein at least.

Even so, when I ate my cheeseburger today I hid in the food court behind the bins. A guilty pleasure I will have to not become dependent on.

You don't sound like a freak. People are so judgemental about pregnant women as it is - don't add to the already sizeable stress you're experiencing any more than you can help!

Scarew, you look wonderful! You are healthy in body, mind, and spirit and I think your partner would actually find it somewhat charming that you are experiencing cravings. I can't tell you the number of smiles I've recounted in my life from loved one recounting their wives cravings and strange eating routines in the second half of pregnancy. Don't feel bad for it, it's natural.

Oh, BTW, I think the issue is that maybe you feel like you will be judged for your choices BECAUSE you are pregnant. I don't think it's necessarily a license to eat for two, but I have been and I fully intend to back off when the baby is born. I think social climates surrounding pregnancy can be somewhat judgmental and when it comes to drugs/alcohol/tobacco, I can understand why... but it does get extended into the dietary realm as well, which is unfortunate. I think as long as you are getting what you need for baby (prenatals and such), then you should ignore the social pressure. You are pregnant and cravings are natural.

Thanks you guys,

I feel alot better now. I was trying to sort of do what muffin cakes said, having a cheat day. But I think a cheat weekend will be much easier.

I think it just reminded myself of when I was bulimic. I was just freaked out. Its good to hear Im not the only one who feels like this!

I love u guys!

Part of what cravings are if your body's way of fulfillling an increased need it has for certain nutrients. The definition of eating healthily is different when pregnant than when not! For each of M's three kids she had different cravings. At the end with her latest. he was active all the time and she couldn't seem to get enough sugar. Don't forget, what's happening both to your baby and you requires huge amounts of energy. You and baby are not putting on weight as such, you are growing which takes far more nutrients than just depositing a layer of fat.

That's true - that your body craves what it needs. But the message between your brain and your stomach can get confused. If you eat alot of junk food, then your body expresses its needs to you in the form of junk food. If you eat alot of healthy food, you will have healthier cravings. For example, if you're craving sugar, you should eat more fruit, drink more apple juice and eat more honey. It won't satisfy your cravings for cola in the short run, but it will in the long run.

Anyway, scarew, don't get down on yourself about your binge eating. Once the baby gets a bit bigger, you won't be able to eat alot at once anyway. There won't be enough room! In the meantime, you should be checking your glucose level with every doctor's visit, and as long as that's okay, you should be fine. Around 30 weeks you'll also have a test of your hemoglobin to test sugar levels and the possibility of diabetes. As long as your doctor doesn't see any reason for concern, then stressing over your eating habits will probably do more harm than the eating habits themselves. I give you permission to hit up macD's.

Thanks amber!

I actually already took my glucose test the other day. That orange stuff didn't tast THAT bad. I had heard some horror stories.

My doc says Im low risk because of my weight and my age. I am just really struggling not to let my body image issues get the best of me this pregnancy.

It's how you eat most of the time that counts. As long as you eat healthy, a little junk food here and there won't kill you.

Recently I broke into the girl scout cookies- that's something I would never do before I was pregnant- but babies like cookies!

If you are eating a balanced diet, an occasional indulgence in sugar or fast food won't kill you.

BellaDonna