I'm about to Resign from my job: Advice?

Hey everyone. I recently accepted an offer for a new position with a startup, working with a friend of mine.

Now, I've got to do the dirty deed of handing in my resignation. It's short and to the point. I only plan to stick around till this friday, because I want to take a few weeks off before I start my new career.

I'm just having a hard time; though this is a good move for me, in terms of experience, career, and salary; my current employer is small and is almost like a family.

I plan to go to the gym for lunch, then tender my resignation after our team meeting.

Any advice or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

LIMT

Okay I pulled the short notice resignation and I really suggest giving the two weeks notice. The short notice resignation has come to bite me in the butt. You're going with a start up, who knows if it'll be successful, you may one day want to return to this company, or at least need them for a recommendation. GIVE THE FULL TWO WEEKS, you'll still have a week to chill out.

I too would suggest the two week notice. It is the right thing to do especially if you are close to the people you work with.

Hopefully they will see that your new job is a great opportunity for you and will wish you the best. Just be honest and be thankful for the opportunity that they gave you. Oh by the way congratulations on your new job!

It's still a good idea to give 2 weeks, and leave on a good note...*you never know*. Unlike me, seeing as I went on my lunch one day and never came back

Go Irish!

Seriously, though, my reasoning is that I haven't had a vacation in over a year, and I'm due for a good one. Instead of taking in, I'd rather just finish out the week.

It's only decent to give two weeks notice. Any less is really quite impolite in my opinion. That would be like not tipping the waiter or waitress because you're just passing through and won't be in that restaurant again.

Giving proper notice is something you should plan into the start date of your next job.

Depending on how vacation pay and your exact working periods are calculated and whether you're paid in advance or paid after the work is done, leaving with very little notice could have an impat on your last paycheck, for example you might not get it. Maybe that's not an issue for you though.

what about being in a position to use them as a reference or something?

as a person doing my own start-up, i have had to use so many of my old resources/contacts to get things done... i was glad that i left my old jobs on good terms so they were more likely to help out.

think of it as feeling good for a week vs. possibly loosing a valuable resource... even if you can't see your paths crossing again right now, you never know!

and GOOD LUCK with the new job!

Even you don't want to go back there a future employer will want to talk to them for a reference. You are only hurting yourself.

Why not quit and ask how long they would like you to stay? Worst case is two weeks, and they might even set you free that afternoon...

Ash, I dont think they can withold your paycheck if you didn't give them two weeks notice. That would be illegal.

If you don't plan on ever returning to them or if you dont need them as reference, then dont give them two weeks.

Also, I think that now most companies only can tell a prospective employer how long the employee was employed there. I dont think they can provide more than that information. I was told that by my old boss when I left the company. I asked him if I could use him as a reference and he said "yes", but that he couldn't say anything to a potential employer except how long I had worked there.

If that's the case, then you dont need to worry about references, since they can't say anything negative.

Take the vacation before you start the new job. You might not be able to take another vacation for a long time.

When I left my previous employer, I gave them 2 weeks. The difference though, is my new employer wants me to start working asap. And considering the substantial raise in pay they offered me, I'm more apt to listen to them.

Any smart candidate would tell a potential employer the circumstances with which you left former employers.

But, since I like people to take my advice, I will take yours with a comprimise. I will give them *1* week notice for decentcy, and take 1.5 weeks of time off for myself.

Ash, I dont think they can withold your paycheck if you didn't give them two weeks notice. That would be illegal.

Nope, it most certainly isn't! I'm paid only for work I've already completed for example. If I don't give proper notice, I don't get my final pay because I haven't yet done the work. You can't expect pay for work you haven't done.

Ash, I understand what you meant. I think you took my comment the wrong way. I thought you meant that if you didnt give proper notice, they would withold your last paycheck from you. What I meant was they couldnt withhold your last paycheck from you because it would cover the last week you worked.

I got paid every two weeks and when I left, my last day was that Friday of payday (but our pay system was like our paychecks were behind one pay period), so for me to get my LAST paycheck for the week up that Friday that I quit, I had to wait till the next pay period to get the last check.