watch "the Secret"...it will make you feel good !!!

But there are a whole host of other claims in that video. Things like thoughts having frequency and that they have some physical effect on the outside world. It's really no different than the vague new-age "energy" stuff. Pretty silly. It's just extrapolating a basic idea (positive thinking can help you set goals and feel better and feeling better can help to achieve those goals) to an absurd level (positive thinking can get you out of debt or bring riches and love through some vague metaphysical process).

true. i somewhat believe that "energy" stuff they preached about.

but the most absurd portion is about what i mentioned above about the guy who thought about checks coming in the mail. i literally laughed out loud when he said that.

"checks just started to appear in the mail"! hahaha!! if it were only that easy. and pigs just started to fly because that's what i imagined and "visualized"!!!

where did these checks come from?

Interesting. I don't remember the checks coming in the mail part but I think the overall message was not that if you think things they will magically happen...well that is at least not what was said when the people went on Oprah. They said you have to think about what you want, feel the feeling of having it so you're in the right mindset then act upon it (if it's debt, make a pre-set payment plan so you don't have to focus on it but you're taking care of it). It sounds pretty common sensical but I've founds its so easy to get stuck in a rut and not even want to try to figure out how to get out of it. Some of the stuff in the video is far-fetched but I think the overall message is just what successful people have been doing forever whcih is visualizing what they want, being happy with what they already have and winning people over that help them get to where they want to get, and then taking other steps needed to achieve their goals.

I remember the guy saying "the checks just started showing up in the mail"...he was the same idiot that said he visualizes parking spots and they were there for him.

The idea is, not that this is magic, but to focus your energy on negatives promotes negatives. If you focus on positives, act as if you have what you want already, the feeling is going to motivate you to achieve. It's not some kind of mystical non-sense.

Right. And if that's all they were saying, I'd never say a word. But they're not. They're making all sorts of other claims, because making a video about "The Secret" of goal-setting and hard work wouldn't really sell any videos. They need all the pseudo-scientific claptrap to make people think they can get something for nothing if they'll just keep thinking positively. That gets the (paying) butts in the seats.

It's really no different than the ads for pills that will make you thinner without dieting or working out.

For some reason I keep thinking of The Princess Bride:

"Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."

Ordered the DVD after seeing it on Oprah (only paid $25.00 btw). Found that show to have many 'ah ha' moments for me. A LOT of the things they discussed I've been practicing for years, (which I learned in AA & practicing the 12 Step program)........ my life is a good one all ready so hoping "The Secret" will just improve things even more.

I remember the guy saying "the checks just started showing up in the mail"...he was the same idiot that said he visualizes parking spots and they were there for him.

The idea is, not that this is magic, but to focus your energy on negatives promotes negatives. If you focus on positives, act as if you have what you want already, the feeling is going to motivate you to achieve. It's not some kind of mystical non-sense.

of course it's not "magic" but they sure put this *mystical* atmosphere throughout the whole movie. remember the alladin scene? you can see it in the movie clip on youtube. i posted the link about 3 posts previous to this. remember them saying it's esentially the same? "your wish is my command"?!

again, i got the overall gist but there are certainly some laughable parts in there.

those of you who watch it, keep your filters on because there are some absurd moments in there.

also, notice how all the "experts" have all these titles and fancy acronyms underneath their names. i don't even recognize half of their "credentials".

keep in mind the price of the DVD as well. $50 is pretty steep, don't you think?

it's no secret that positive thoughts will attract positve things in your life. if you truly believe that you will achieve what you want, then you will. how is this a secret?

yeah, we're all made up of energy and everything in the universe, including stars, are all made of the same particles. thereforeeee, everything is connected.

your thoughts resonate a certain frequency that is broadcast to the world and the world will eventually, in some way or another, answer those frequencies that you put out.

please send $50 to my paypal account. i have just presented you the entire "secret" dvd. (i am totally kidding).

It's only $29 on the secret website.

i repeat. i never bought and i believe that was the original asking price.

the video has been out for a while, have you thought about the fact that maybe they lowered the price b/c not many people had been buying at that price?

it's been on link removed for that much before.

anyway, the cost isn't really the main issue here.

I wasn't arguing with you, I was just stating is so that other people know that it is not $50 now. Also the release date is October 1st 2006 so it hasn't been out for that long. I don't think that the creator of this movie and book thinks that she is presenting anything new. I also checked out quite a few of the teachers individual websites and they all seem like very intelligent people. I listened to a sermon by Dr. Michael Beckwith and it was riveting.

hey people...wow i see mixed feelings about the movie

i want to say one thing about those "checks coming in mail"...remember that this movie is made from separate interviews and they just cut pieces to create the movie...

what if this guy said that he bought some stocks years back but they didnt do good....and then all of the sudden he started getting checks with dividends or sth

Yes thats the exact point I think too

It not going to magically appear, but it like giving u a kick up the "toosh" ..

You might get a promotion and be able to buy that new car instead of wasting it at the pub on a sat night ( err at the moment Id choose the pub hehehhehe)

Like I said, anyone wanting the dvd let me know, Ill give u the link so u can download the freebie

Eb I too have listened to Michael his is incredible isnt he...

Of course the theories arent new here, I studied philosophy and Plato lived by these guidelines...

But I see your point as well deejay

Hey I payed 90 bucks for this dinosaur documentry dvd for my kids LOL....

• 1 month later...
LOVED the film.

And I totally agree!

Here's something I posted about it awhile back:

]

shellshocked,

i just want to say thank you for that original post you made last year. it was while surfing these boards looking for a ray of hope that i found your post. i have been using the law of attraction since then. all because of your post. although i used it once many years back without knowing what it was (visionboards). peace and blessings to you.

toonicegirl

I believe in the power of thinking. It is not something new. Throughout the history of humanity people used this power which they could not explain. We do not disageer about rather it exist or not, but we do eventualy disageer about the explanation of it. I have studied western and eastern philosophy, and Sufi mysticism. They tell us about phenomenon of (wath we call in the west) positive thinking. Also Friedrich Nietzsche, Spinoza and Goethe wrote a lot about it. My Moroccan grandmother (my father is an Moroccan) warned me always by saying will get what u fear," "Never want things, make the things want u." And she learned this from her grandmother an so on.

Sorry for my English

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the link *reputation given*

If you like this DVD you'll like "What in the Bleep Do We Know". Some of the same professors show up on the DVD as well but they do talk about similar theory but more from a quantum physics point of view.

Either way, I love what it talked about. I think it would help me in thinking truly positively and can actually look back & agree I am right now, because of my past thinking.

Great great stuff

I've seen The Secret and I have been wondering lately if the Law of Attraction have something to do with the situation I am in now...

When I met my ex 2 1/2 years ago, he told me he'd recently stopped dating another woman, but wanted to call her and let her know he'd met someone he wanted to be exclusive with and let her know he wouldn't be seeing her anymore. I worried for a while that she would take it poorly and continue to pursue him, but I that didn't happen and I soon forgot about her.

Last November, we had a small split and he told me he called her, but didn't follow through with seeing her. He forwarded the emails to me and she went on and on about how disappointed she was that she hadn't had a chance to see him.

Since then, I became overly suspicious of every call he got or made, every email, etc. I questioned him over and over again about her even though I found no evidence whatsoever that he was communicating with her. I couldn't get it out of my mind and worried about her almost every day, convinced that something was up with.

12 days ago, we had a huge fight and what did he do? He called her and slept with her and I found out the next day when I went to his house to get something I'd left there and found, um, evidence of their encounter.

So.... did my constant negative focus on something that wasn't initially happening bring that event into my life? Did it become a self-fulfiling prophecy because I thought about it so much?

All I know is that I am really working to focus on POSITIVE things now!!

• 2 weeks later...