do a job u hate but pays a lot of $, no one likes their job

do you guys think in a way that no one realli like their job and ppl as a whole just do it for money.

look at teachers -once it hits 3 oclock most teachers are gone home. if they love their jobs, they would have stayed longer.

look at doctors its like they don't care about their job and just wants patients out realli fast so they can carry on to the next patient.-why more money.

would anyone here do a job they didn;t like at all , but would still do it b/c it paid a lot of $$. example police officers get paid quite a lot ,but endangers to ones -could get shot at. accounting hate numbers,but would do it since it pays well. how importants is money vs liking a job.

what do u say to ur folks if they tell u to get into a trade or field ,and u dislike it. one reason they want u to get into it is b/c it pays a lot of $$$$, and is the only reason. Plumbing -what do u guys think. i'm not into getting down and dirty and fixing ppl's pipes. i'm 26 and i don;t think i can do grunt work-whcih is the kind of work one has to do in the beginning and get paid very little. I'm not that big either 5 7 150. But yes they can make 65/hr -self employed maybe even more. why do my chinese parents who are first generation chinese-care soo much about money. money this and that and making money.while white western ppl think more about hey do u like what ur are doin and if not quit it.

do u guys think ppl do their job for the love of it or just for the sole purpose of money money. no one reealli like their job and just wants to be paid. money is king and is so important in choosing a career. go into trades like fixing some pipes just b/c it pays a lot. become a doctor not to help ppl,but it makes a lot of $$ and ppl would respect u since u own big property and nice things. how about this sayin "you don't like it, who cares force urself to like it since it pays a lot of money." "you force urself to be good at it and like it" why pays lot of money

Guess I am blessed. Not only do I make an excellent income and have the best benefits, I also love my job, however, I work to live, I don't live to work.... and btw; in my neck of the woods, the police don't make squat, some of the teachers care but some don't and if a doctor doesn't care about patients, then I won't be one!

I think in all careers, there are those that truly want ot be there- and those who do not.

I certainly do not think ALL teachers and doctors are the way you described...

Ususally people who hate their jobs and who are just in it for the money stick out pretty fast- and they are usually not well-liked by their colleagues who have a personal and/or moral investment in what they do nor are they liked by the populations that they serve.

BellaDonna

Just because someone chooses to go home at 3 when they finish their shift doesn't mean they don't like their job. It means they have balance between work, family, play, etc. I personally like my job and I know alot of others who do as well. Also, we get a certain satisfaction out of working hard, doing a good job, and contributing to society. Even construction workers who sweat all day and do hard labour often feel good about putting in such a hard day's work. When they go on vacation, they feel useless and bored. Of course, everyone is different. Check out my thread, "would you quit your job if you won the lottery?" Most people said they would continue with some kind of career.

Most days I love my job, some days it's okay. On rare occasions I dislike it, but that's an extreme. Regardless, I love my career. I think it rather a large gneralization to assume that everybody (or even most people for that matter) hate their jobs.

As for grunt work, I'd go nuts if I didn't have a job that is occasionally hands on. A lot of the time I'm on a computer, but a significant portion of my job is also hands on, and on occasion it can be relatively heavy labour. I like that part.

I wouldn't mind doing a trade either for a few years. I like working with tools and either creating or repairing or renewing things. A lot of trades workers are the same and take pride in what they do.

Going into the work place with a negative attitude I don't think will serve well in the long term. You need to find something good in what it is you do.

My boyfriend is a teacher. He LOVES his job. He leaves soon after school ends, unless he has to meet with a student. Why? Well why stay if there's no reason to? Besides, he likes to get home so that he can start on grading so that he can have a life outside of work later in the evening.

My mom is an accountant and she also loves her job. She loves numbers and even does her whole families taxes for free.

I know that these are only 2 cases out of millions, but not everyone hates their job just because sometimes they want to leave as soon as they can. , so be careful of what you assume.

Full time jobs can be stressful, whether you love your job or not. Just because one wants to have a life outside of their job doesn't mean that they could care less about the work that they do or the people involved.

In my opinion, if you hate your job, there's no point in staying in it, even if it pays a lot. Some people choose to stay of course because to them money is important.

People need money to survive. That's only realistic. So, I think that it's important to at least make as much as you need. And sometimes, low paying jobs that you love are worth it for that reason. You can't go on cruises every other month, but at least you love what you do and don't mind waking up in the morning for it.

Because people leave when thier job is OVER doesn't mean that they don't like it. but after 8 hours of it....I'm sure they do want to get home to thier family...or go pick up groceries or have other appointments & plans. Because they have other things to do in a day doesn't mean that they don't love thier job.

And with doctors, there are many people they need to help & they do have to meet government targets as well.

I do believe you should find a job you love, because 8 hours a day 260 days a year is a lot of your time. Money is a motive but for only a short time, and it doesn't bring happiness.

I try to balance the two, money & what I love. So I have 2 part time jobs, I'm a single mom....so of course I need money & benefits so i have one job that is for those reasons. And the other is doing what I love, working with kids.

what you are saying about teachers is absolutely not true.... they put in hour s and hours and hours and hours of work every single day..

I do not know a single teacher who leaves at 3:00 ...

in one post above where the poster says her boyfriend leaves at 3:00.. I have never met a teacher like that.. and I come from a family of teachers!

in one post above where the poster says her boyfriend leaves at 3:00.. I have never met a teacher like that.. and I come from a family of teachers!

I'm assuming you are referring to me..

What I meant was, he leaves soon after school ends. I don't think he's ever left at 3:00 in his whole job life, but usually by 3:20, unless he has to meet with a student, or unless he has a reason to stay.. and if that's the case then it will be around 4:00.

Just thought I would clear it up, even though it has nothing to do with the original post..

I've been working in the same field for 30 years, and it pays okay.

Today I'm preparing to change careers entirely, because I need something more interesting. It involves a cut in pay, longer hours and more effort.

Some people see money as the bottom line. It makes them happy and gives them a way to keep score. Some of us are happy to pay our bills and pursue other things.

You have that choice, and if you want to make 10 or 100 bucks an hour, it's up to you.

Viewing work in its entirety through the slave lense is a cynical way to look at life. It is easy to think of generalizations out of pity, rather than to come to the conclusion that not everyone does the same job or climbs the same career ladder for the same reason.

Some people find a way to transmute their passion in life into a job that pays well. There are those who have no career ahead of them with their passion, and so they work towards a job that brings home the bacon while the passion is left to be more of a hobby than a career. Some people don't have any real passions, and just do whatever they can to contribute to society, if that means being a janitor, working for a law firm, starting their own business, teaching, you name it. We do not live in a utopian society where everyone does a job that they feel a personal connection with. Sometimes people just chose a career that suits their personality.

I am going to be diving into a career in music. I don't play music to make tons of money. Money is nice, and it is needed for the career to work, but that is not the point of it all. If I wanted to make a lot of money, I would take up another interest as a career. Not everyone has the same values that I do. Sure, it is going to be hard work, and I may end up barely making it financially, but it is worth it because I would do it if I had a regular job and played music for free. I don't plan to retire from music until I leave this planet.

The point that has been made already by other posters is that generalizations are bad. Some people have a family to raise and thereforeeee depend on each others' income to raise the family well. People immigrate to this country with nothing because they are barely able to survive in their own country, while there are people are born in this country with everything.

Sometimes it's not just straight pay. There can be other perks too. Benefits are a huge one for me. I can't afford at present to take a job that doesn't have a good benefits package, I have far too many dependants to afford it myself. (In fact, it precludes self employment ... *frowns*). Travel is another. Some like the aspect of having a company pay to go different places even if there is work involved when you get there.

I know, I LOVE having benefits!

I love the fact that, if myself, my bf or my baby get sick or hurt, we'll be in a private hospital room with no bills to pay. I love the fact that I can finally afford to get my 15 cavities fixed (no, seriously), and finally get a crown on that root canal I got a few years ago (I actually had to go around from office to office, almost in tears, before I found a dentist who took pity on me and did the root canal practically for free when I had no money to pay for dental work). I love the fact that my family and I can get massages, chiropractic care, vision check-ups, glasses and contacts... The fact that my employer contributes to my RRSP's... After living with no benefits and nobody to bail you out, this stuff is absolutely priceless to me. I seriously sleep better at night now that I have benefits.

I think in all careers, there are those that truly want ot be there- and those who do not.

I certainly do not think ALL teachers and doctors are the way you described...

Ususally people who hate their jobs and who are just in it for the money stick out pretty fast- and they are usually not well-liked by their colleagues who have a personal and/or moral investment in what they do nor are they liked by the populations that they serve.

BellaDonna

When I was a teacher I left at 3, went home and worked on lesson plans and other administrative work for several hours at night. Sometimes now I leave my office at 6 (early for my job) and do several hours of work at home- you never know if people are working at home or not.

I like my job, sometimes I love it, but it is not my life - that would not be good for me, my employer or my colleagues.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that this is part of a decision that you make when you decide on what path to take in life. Personally, I'm an English major with an emphasis in creative writing. I'm looking at nearly ten years of school to be able to teach at a university level. After those ten years, I'll be lucky to make $50,000 a year. The starting pay rate for electrical engineers in my area is $55,000 - and that's with a bachelor's degree. Despite the differences in education level and money earned, I'm not really jealous of my fiancee for bringing in as much money as I will with half as much time in college. It's just how the world works sometimes - and for me, it's more important to have a career that I truly want than one that pays well.

I think that this is part of a decision that you make when you decide on what path to take in life. Personally, I'm an English major with an emphasis in creative writing. I'm looking at nearly ten years of school to be able to teach at a university level. After those ten years, I'll be lucky to make $50,000 a year. The starting pay rate for electrical engineers in my area is $55,000 - and that's with a bachelor's degree. Despite the differences in education level and money earned, I'm not really jealous of my fiancee for bringing in as much money as I will with half as much time in college. It's just how the world works sometimes - and for me, it's more important to have a career that I truly want than one that pays well.

I had the same exact major but went to grad school for something different because I did not want to pursue a PhD in English and risk not getting a job in the highly competitive academic market. I don't write creatively any more which is a shame but my job involves lots of writing in several different styles which is challenging and interesting at times.

I think it is easier for women to get away with doing a low paid job because more pressure is put on men, by society and women (potential wives), to earn a larger income. Not that we need to be rich, just that our income needs to be decent. Enough for a savings 401 or w/e you call salary sacs. to retirement funds in the us i remember one poster specifiying such a thing as a requirement... So If you are a man I think there are a new set of dynamics where the engineering major becomes more attractive than the english... even if you enjoy english more, the larger pay check might bring with it other things besides the money that will compensate for the lower enjoyment in ur paid job.

So then women who are high up in government, who work in school systems or in non profit organizations and make far less money than those who work in private coprporations are "getting away" with something? Is working in the home with children "getting away" with something? Since when are women "potential wives" - what about those women who don't choose to marry, who don't choose to marry men, etc.

So, not sure which "women" you are talking about - only married women? Only married women married to high earners? Only those married women with high earners where the women do not work in the home or where the couple haven't agreed to both work outside the home? Which women do you feel are "getting away" with a lower paying job that justify the generalization you made? You don't know of any men who marry wealthy women so they don't have to work hard? Why not refer to people - men and women - who are gold diggers rather than these "potential wives?"

Financial stability is a requirement for me in a potential spouse because I am financially stable. If I make more than him, that's fine.