He not only left a message for me on myspace but also txt me last night...

celene

Hey guys, my ex not only left a mysapvce message for me a day before my birthday but he also txt me tellling me hope I was having a good birthday and not to drink too much. What am I supposed to make out of this. Is he being good friends? or do you think he's dating someone? I ask this because guys have a tendency to txt their ex whom they are friends with when they start to date somone new just to come off as mysterious and aloof to the girl??!!

If it's not something that he would do, then maybe, I know it's what I've done in the past (I guess maybe to try and rub it in? I dunno, all us guys are generally jerks

But maybe he just remembered your birthday, and wanted to leave you a message to let you know that he does still think of ya sometimes.

I think we need a bit more background celene. What were the circumstances of the split? How long have you been apart?

Making a wild guess, if you split amicably and been apart for awhile maybe he is hoping you will reply so you can take tentative steps to reconcile?

Sorry, I didn't see your post papalazarou, but that's pretty much exactly what I was trying to imply as well

Usually a birthday wish doesnt mean much. My ex still wishes me a happy birthday and even sent me a card for Christmas. Your ex was just being friendly since you did break up ambically. Now this doesn't mean this is why he did it, but you shouldn't get your hopes up because it does nothing except hurt you in the long run.

How should you respond? It depends on if you want to move on or if you want him back. Do nothing if you want to move on but if you want him back, I would respond with a thank you and maybe a "how have you been". Then you will have to wait to see what he does.

But tread carefully and remember, anything short of, "I made a mistake and I want you back", means nothing.

hey coolsome, thanks for the advise. I know what you mean. But what was strange was that he wished me twice! One by leaving a message on myspace and second by txting me and asking me how my birthday was going. I am not reading much into this. We havent spoken to each other since I got back in January except for a txt once so I found it strange that he would wish me twice. I am trying to move on though!!

I am not sure either....though this is what I think it is.....when a guy says they dont want to take it to the next level or commit etc it just means: you are not the one and I want to get back to dating. Seriously, I have come to realize that. They might change their mind later about whether you are the one or not but when they say that, that is what they mean!!! It didnt make any sense to me either and when I thought about it like this it did!!

I am not sure either....though this is what I think it is.....when a guy says they dont want to take it to the next level or commit etc it just means: you are not the one and I want to get back to dating. Seriously, I have come to realize that. They might change their mind later about whether you are the one or not but when they say that, that is what they mean!!! It didnt make any sense to me either and when I thought about it like this it did!!

Yeah all this "levels" stuff is an illusion - they make it sound like Mario Brothers or something.

Also - when they say you are "the one" - what do they mean do you think?

Hey Zaphod, "the one" means...ooppss I cannot seem to find anyone else to date so...you are still hanging in there so out of no choice lets make this official. Sorry I am a little bitter. I know someone said that my ex wishes me on my birthday. My other ex does too, but that was after a while after we had broken up. Its been a month and a half since I last saw him and told him that I am not over him but would want to be his friend. Since then I have been very depressed and finally decided to seek medical help.I havent spoken to him since then and I was making good strides. So you can see why him leaving me two messages might have thrown me off balance!! I am not reading too much into this but it just does makes you go one step backward!!

Usually a birthday wish doesnt mean much. My ex still wishes me a happy birthday and even sent me a card for Christmas. Your ex was just being friendly since you did break up ambically. Now this doesn't mean this is why he did it, but you shouldn't get your hopes up because it does nothing except hurt you in the long run.

How should you respond? It depends on if you want to move on or if you want him back. Do nothing if you want to move on but if you want him back, I would respond with a thank you and maybe a "how have you been". Then you will have to wait to see what he does.

But tread carefully and remember, anything short of, "I made a mistake and I want you back", means nothing.

I agree, 100%. I lost a lot of time still in love with an ex, thinking that he had real feelings for me because he'd wish me happy birthday, merry xmas, etc...... in hindsight, I shouldn't have taken those things as proof of his feelings for me. Really, anything short of, "I made a mistake and want you back...." anything short of that just isn't worth it.