Could you make it without media for 4 days?

easyguy

I would love to do that more often.

I already put some severe limits on TV watching/news watching, but since I work in the media it's a little difficult to cut it out completely.

But when I'm on vacation...there's no TV, no computer, no phone, no newspaper, no nothin'. And it's freakin' wonderful.

I think part of the reason people in my generation do not value solitude is because places where you can achieve solitude in the city are few and far between. You can go home but home starts to feel like a cage. People need lots of nature and lots of quiet...they need places to go. There is no nature, and if it is, its confined to a park where lots of people go.

I think its really sad that people can't go without the media for even four days. I personally don't have television (although I admit that I watch lots of movies) most of it is mindless and wasteful... news is all the same...more and more deppressing things. I only update on world news once a month.

Wow...what an interesting read.

My girlfriend uses facebook, and she tried one time to stay off it for a week, but ended up cheating. I don't use facebook, but I could imagine how difficult it would be to go a week without checking email. Or getting on ENA for that matter. Anyone else addicted?

Oh I'm totally addicted GFein - but I would certainly welcome a vacation!

But I too used to work in media - which makes it all the more difficult because you get so addicted to not only knowing what's going on, but seeking out what's going on.

And that also makes any vacation all the more appreciated........

Well, in New Zealand, they're now allowing students to write in "netspeak" on standardized writing tests. So something like "w/" for with, or "gr8" for great is now acceptable as formal writing in some parts of the world. Just goes to show the role internet plays in our lives.

I've done it, it gives you silence to all the noise that usually pollutes our lives. Books are far more interesting and vivid than any tv show. Being out of contact with my loved one would hurt, but sometimes quiet is all you need.

I really hate going into stores like Best Buy or such were the air is full of the electronic buzz. It gives me a head ache and if someone is trying out stereos I can't be there.