How To Break Up With Someone You Love?

Staying with him isn't fair to either of you.

If he wanted the relationship to last any longer- he wouldn't have cheated.

Breaking up with him will be really hard, it will feel like a part of you is missing. And every day you're gonna cry- but everyday you're going to feel a bit better.

It would hurt like hell, but it's better for both of you in the long run.

I advise doing it with a friend around you- so you can't turn back to him. The first day is always the hardest- so do it in the late evening. Keep yourself with lots of things to do, and always someone around to stop you from going back to him.

I thought my ex and I could be friends, but it just didn't work. She most likely had to get over me and ended up cutting contact with me about eight months after we reconciled and decided to be friends.

It hurts a lot, but you have to realize that things change and this may happen, that you really won't talk to that person again. It sucks because my ex was my best friend as well, but it's a part of growing up.

Staying with him isn't fair to either of you.

If he wanted the relationship to last any longer- he wouldn't have cheated.

Breaking up with him will be really hard, it will feel like a part of you is missing. And every day you're gonna cry- but everyday you're going to feel a bit better.

It would hurt like hell, but it's better for both of you in the long run.

I advise doing it with a friend around you- so you can't turn back to him. The first day is always the hardest- so do it in the late evening. Keep yourself with lots of things to do, and always someone around to stop you from going back to him.

I really don't think it's gonna be THAT hard on me. I doubt I'll cry everyday cause that's just not me. Luckily I always have alot to do. I feel pretty good about it, it's just not working anymore and hopefully he sees that too.

I think you have to be true to yourself and whereas some people maybe don't feel the need to break up face to face, after 3 years where you genuinely love someone, I think it's important for your own healing and closure that you feel you did things the right way whatever that is for you. I feel personally speaking because I am going through something a bit similar that resorting to doing things out of any nastiness or even that aren't true to your personality you will regret later, even if the other partner maybe didn't cover themseves in glory.

It sounds like you are doing the right things to me, friendship will either be there or it wont, only time will tell. You and he will need space and time to get to that point though, I doubt it can just get there straight away.

Anyway good luck with doing what you think is best.

From a guys perspective...

I diddnt cheat on my girlfriend. We met when we were 15, first year of high school, broke up almost a month ago, were going into senior year. Its hard you know... not knowing what its like to be with someone else... some much confusion and curiosity. I geuss it got the best of him, and hes going to loose his baby. You should blame him. He should have been stronger to love and care for you then to do this. You seem like a really nice girl, and you deserve better hun.

• Like 1

Yeah I know it was definatly wrong of him to cheat on me because it's like no matter what the situation it's still wrong but I do understand why he would do it. I know that he's tried and I know I've been distant but that's not an excuse. That's just why I guess I'm not really like angry or freaking out or anything. It definatly is weird though too. Because I don't know what it'll be like to be with someone else. I think maybe we've been together so long that going off to college is a good time to break up and find differnt people. I just would really like to still be friends with him because I can't imagine ever not having him as an important person in my life.

• Like 1
It sounds like you are doing the right things to me, friendship will either be there or it wont, only time will tell. You and he will need space and time to get to that point though, I doubt it can just get there straight away.

Anyway good luck with doing what you think is best.

I definatly get that a friendship might not be there and it probably won't be there right away if it's going to be but I know I'm gonna want that. So I guess I'll just have to try not to force it but that's gonna be hard because we do everything together. I'm around him so much and I talk to him so much it's gonna be weird just all of a sudden not having him there.

Well it sounds to me like your feelings for him are already at that stage where you could go to just being friends, which says definitely that you're better off not being together as a couple. Maybe he is feeling the same if he has been cheating on you, you will only find out with an honest discussion with him. Personally speaking at the moment I couldn't be friends with my ex, split for a week and going out 3 years because even though I know it's for the best ( her doing) I would still want to give her a hug when I met her, want to know what she's up to, really hurt if she met someone else etc. Every situation is different though, maybe you both are already there. You have to be careful though that he just says he wants to be friends just to remain close to you, still harbouring hopes of getting back togehter because he wont move on and you will have to do another break up conversation further down the road.

On another quick note, a girlfriend and I split after a couple of years going together just before we went to college and I had a fantastic time, the break up was her doing but at college you make friends so easily and meet so many of the opposite sex that you'll meet somone you like if and when you are ready. I'm sure loads of people will not agree but I am glad and got so much more out of being single in that time of my life.

Again hope it all works out as you want it to.

• Like 1