Why do people break up?

After a few years here and many of observing friends, my list of break up reasons in order of frequency is,

1. Communication problems

2. Growing apart

3. The relationship is taken for granted (gets stale)

4. Abuse (mental or physical)

5. Cheating

What do you think? As much as cheating is such a headline subject, my feeling is it's not a major cause of relationship break ups? Or it is often a symptom of one of the other reasons I listed.

They normally lives u when their belly is fool.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly, I have run into some couples who I believe "over-communicate." They talk so much about their relationship, where it's going , is everything ok, are you ok, I'm ok if you're ok, etc., they just end up beating it to death and forgetting to live.

Also in the same vein some couples tell each other every little thing they do

(report back to each other all the time) and don't spare the other person details that really are not necessary, are hurtful, etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is while I think communication is important, it IS possible to overdo it...

My BF and I don't communicate all that much on the subject of "our relationship", maybe that's just because we are in college... I guess one thing I THINK is a big cause of break ups is A LACK OF SPACE. One person suffocates the other. To me, overcommunication can spur this...

You have to love your partner enough to let him or her live his or her life. And not everything he or she does has to include you all the time...

None of your list applied us...Our therapist called it:

#6 Emotional Incompatibility

She likes to have lots emotional attention, more than even a woman can handle On the other hand, I am more easy-going and could handle daily couple hours of emotional needs but not 12hrs/day...

#6 Emotional Incompatibility

Yeah I think incompatability is a big one but reality is, those relationships should probably never even start, they are not going to work no matter how you try and address the issue, if you are incompatable you are incompatable.

I do think though that more people should be brave enough to accept incompatability earlier in their relationships and do the right thing.

Yeah I think incompatability is a big one but reality is, those relationships should probably never even start, they are not going to work no matter how you try and address the issue, if you are incompatable you are incompatable.

I do think though that more people should be brave enough to accept incompatability earlier in their relationships and do the right thing.

I think if two people meet and are incompatable they should discover this almost immediately.There are many many people who love each other and row and argue ,but can't live without each other.My best friend and his wife are a prime example.They are not happy unless they are rowing,but they are so dedicated to each other.

If there is a conflict but no love,then there's no hope,regardless.If there's love and conflict,then it's does not mean it can't,won't work.True love knows no rules.