opinions on proposal

I think the best approach to an engagement, is to have atleast some idea of the kind of ring she wants. Even though I think it is petty there are women out there that get extremely picky over their ring and unless I knew what she wanted I wouldnt be so bold as to get a ring out of the blue. I would probably trick her into showing me the ring that she wanted so that I could pick it up later. I do like the whole surprise element but I dont really want to deal with her not liking the ring and all of that mess.

Hi there!

I dont think theres any problem with ring shopping with your girlfriend to get a feel for what kinds of rings appeal to her. You could make it a very stress free day.

Proposals arent THAT surprising in that I think both the woman and the man kind of know when theyve reached a point where this is a possibility.

SO maybe on a Sunday afternoon, hit a few different places, and have her point out styles she likes. Make a day of it and have a romantic lunch or dinner together too.

I think the meal together makes it nice because even though shes walking out of the jewelry store without a ring, she still has a lovely time with you.

The actual proposal should be a surprise though, and go for something romantic but not too cheesy.

Maybe on a romantic weekend at a bed and breakfast?

I would prefer a surprise proposal, with the ring already chosen, ive already told my boyfriend i like white gold with just one diamond in lol

So whatever he picked i would be more than happy with and would love it all the more because he put the thought and effort into choosing it.

I saw a tip somewhere (cant remember where?) where to get the correct ring size the man took a piece of cotton and wrapped it round his girls ring finger while she was asleep.

My boyfriend and I went ring shopping. He gave me an idea of a price range and I showed him what different styles I liked. It isn't that I'm petty or picky.. But I do want a ring I love because I will be wearing it for the rest of my life.

About things being a suprize.. We talked about our future and so we knew that this was it. When he proposed to me it wasn't a suprize at all but it was very sweet and romantic. I guess we had talked about things so much we were already engaged in spirit, the ring just made it official.

I kind of think a suprize proposal would be fantastic and exciting.. So long as you are sure she will say yes. But me, I don't have the patience for suprizes!

I guess what would be best really depends on your relationship and what kind of girl she is.

Just wondering, how can the guy quickly assume the girl's reaction will be a defiantely yes. Let's say he actually surprise all of the sudden with a ring and propose and in fact she doesn't like wearing rings at and is like "Huh, you got me by surprise, but I don't wanna marry and don't like rings".

With proposals wouldn't it be better if both partners talked about it in advance and it's one just one proposing, thus risking a "no" answer.

I think the surprise proposal works when there has already been agreement from both sides that they want to get married. My boyfriend and I know that we will get married, and we know it'll be after he finishes school...but I have no clue when he'll propose. I don't think it'll be anytime soon...so it'll still be a huge surprise as to how/when he does it.

I think it is important a couple discusses marriage before proposals for various reasons, so generally I think in that sense if you both know that is where you are heading it is not a "surprise" in the pure sense, but personally I would prefer the actual proposal to be a surprise.

There is no particular reason, but I like good surprises, and I know that is something he would enjoy too!

As for rings, I do trust my boyfriend's taste and I also know he "knows" me enough to know what I like or what suits me (i.e. nothing fussy, simple, clean and something reasonably practical for wearing during my athletic activities, etc) and I also know just from various talks we have had before that his tastes for rings are in line with what I like

The element of surprise is a womans best friend when it comes to this! And Congrats by the way! My ex (sorry) asked me on my b-day which is in March, surpassing all the obvious days, xmas, NYE, and VD, totally by surprise and while we ate my favorite pizza which I had requested as my b-day dinner, he gave me a beautiful card and asked me to marry him as he produced the beautiful ring which fit perfectly because he had rifled through my jewlery box to bring to the jeweler a ring I wore so it would fit perfectly! Great luck to you. And if you propose outside watch the weather channel if you plan to get on one knee!LOL

• 1 month later...

So what happens if you dont like jewellery...I know it sounds weird and i must be some kind of alien, but i just cant stand metal and jewellery. I have talked about marraige with my bf of 3 yrs, and Im thinking it will happen soon but I would be happy to get a surprise proposal, and seeing as I dont even like rings, I would want to choose sumthing tiny with him and not have him spend thousands of dollars! But he said, when the time comes, he will think of something different.

Wat do you guys think about not liking jewellry? is that weird?

why do so many women push to get married? daligirl is like really young and is getting married. missy says she will take any proposal and sick of waiting and she is 27. geez. women these days. listen to tom leykis talk radio. guys be wary of the american woman these days.

.......................................................................................................................................................................................

The guy should check the laws in his state/country as to whether giving a ring on a birthday means that the ring is a gift rather than a gift in contemplation of marriage. If a gift he may not be able to get it back if she cancels the wedding. There was a story about that in the papers here many years ago.

I think the couple should discuss it in advance particularly since there might be a family ring she or he wants to use.

Favorite proposal story - he wanted her ring size and her mother didn't know what it was. So, when she needed a simple surgical procedure, he convinced the anasthesiologist to let him measure her ring size while she was under. He surprised her with the ring a few months later.

if you don't like jewelry, get a tattoo. it is forever right? better make sure. a ring you can just take off and toss it in a lake. tattoo lasering is expensive.

.........................................................................................................................................................................................

if you don't like jewelry, get a tattoo. it is forever right? better make sure. a ring you can just take off and toss it in a lake. tattoo lasering is expensive.

.........................................................................................................................................................................................

How about getting nothing, that's more like it. No need to elaborate.