What is going on with him??

OK so there's this guy.

I'm in college and I'm a TA for this class and this guy - he's my student.

Not a big deal - I'm a 4th year student, he's a 3rd year student - not that big a difference.

Well, it started out with him giving me all this attention that other students were not giving me - talking to me at the end of class, coming over to talk to me during labs, etc.

We met at a party a while later, he bought me a drink, we danced for a long time, you know how it goes.

When I saw him in class the next day, while I stood in front of the class and talked, he had this huge smile on his face and his face was kind of red. I had never seen him so happy.

My fellow TAs began to notice and kept telling me how obvious it was he liked me.

I didn't encourage him in class (I could have gotten in trouble), but outside of class, I flirted back.

We talked a lot outside of class.

I invited him to a party I was having - he said he'd come but never came.

Then, out of nowhere, its like I don't exist anymore. He'll walk directly past me, I know he sees me but he won't say a word. What in the world?? This lasted for almost a month and I gave up on him.

Then, a few weeks ago, out of nowhere, I noticed he kept watching me. I ignored him.

Then he started talking to me again.

We've been talking quite a bit lately.

Then, I invited him to another party I was having, he said he'd come but once again, didn't show, I was upset.

Next day, I run into him at another party - he got me into the party (I don't really knwo how - it was really hard to get in) and when I got in, he greets me with a HUGE hug, apologizes profusely for coming late to my party (when he got there, we had already left - so it turns out he did come) and then buys me a drink.

What's going on? Is he just playing games? Or being friendly? Or is he actually interested?

I think a genuine interest would show in another way, unless he's always behaving this flaky. I don't know why you should get yourself a gun for this, I am hoping this is a joke, easy? Be careful with jokes like that though.

Anyway, I think that if he's that flaky around you, it's best to finish the time of being a TA in his class before you undertake any action. Don't date and TA at the same time, that is. That will only make matters complicated.

Ilse

Not necessarily. But that is what you want to find out. Maybe you can observe his behaviour around others for a bit? That should be possible if you are assisting in a class. See if he behaves flaky in general. Or else, wait for the course to end, take a risk and ask him out.

Ilse

God, I wish I had MY TAs hitting on me. Hell, mine usually don't even like me as a STUDENT.

As for this guy, maybe he just thinks he shouldn't be dating you, considering you're a TA and he's your student.

Personally, I would think there is a rule about fraternizing with your students that precludes such a thing, but what do I know?