Working out/Losing weight...My schedule is hectic!

I'm starting a part time job next week on top of my full time job. I work full time M-F 8:30am to 5:00pm. My part time job will be M-Th 6:30pm to midnight. I can handle the hours and everything, my biggest problem is figuring out when the heck I will be able to work out!!!

I'm currently overweight - you wouldn't know it if you looked at me, but my height vs. my weight says I'm overweight.

Anyway, so eating healthy is hard for me because I have no money and basically eat whatever my grandma has in the house - which is very little options. I cut back portion sizes and calories and i try to eat the best I can under the circumstances.

I've been losing weight because i go to the gym like 3-4 nights a week, even though for the past 3 weeks i've only gone like once or twice a week because of my schedule.

When I don't go to the gym my muscles get sore because I'm so used to going.

I will be working at Target on the sales floor so i will be on my feet all night, but I'm still worried about gaining back the 10lbs i lost and not building up muscle, which i need to help speed up my metabolism.

I never go to the gym now on the weekends because I always have weekend plans with friends and family...

I just feel really discouraged because I already feel like i'm gaining my 10lbs back (which really made a big difference for me) and I know it's because I've been blowing off the gym - and I don't want to - I LOVE going, it's fun!!!

Does anyone have any advice or words of encouragement????

Oh yeah - and my day job is sitting behind a desk all day!!! ...but i do walk 10-15minutes to and from work everyday...

Just a little FYI- one of the major problems that you're going to run into in this process - when trying to get to your so-called BMI target number (which is a flawed system) - is that muscle weighs more than fat. So you are going to have to work extra hard to get to that number... or goal, because you could LOOK like you are, say, 130 pounds, but in reality, are 145 because of the muscle tissue.

It may not have been the answer you were looking for, but better to know now than later. It'll take longer, but if that is what you want, you'll work hard to get there. I wouldn't stess over it too much, because when it comes down to it, a number is just a number.

My advice would be to hit the gym early in the morning. You may think it would make you tired for the rest of the day, but you'd be surprised at the energy boost it gives you. I'd like to say one thing though. Don't sweat it, 85% of the nation being considered overweight is only because the ideal body weight vs. height ratio are all pretty unrealistic. Sure if you are fifty pounds overweight those ideal numbers are great to shoot for. But when you're as close as you are you are pretty healthy. Plus those numbers don't take into account bone and muscle density. Chances are you're just from good breeding and have healthy bone structure. I personally come from about 5 generations of big framed men well over six feet tall. I'm only six foot, but I'm still large framed like my father and grandfathers. Being so my ideal body weight is skewed. Don't worry so much about it.

Can you walk/jog when you get home from work or before work?

It sounds sinple, but when you have a tight schedule, even 30 minutes of a brisk walk will do wonders. In most cases, if you can walk by your home, you will be done in the amount of time it takes you to go round trip to the gym.

Even if you can only do it 3 times a week, it will help!

I used to work until late in the night and I would do a 20 minute run when I got home, or I would wake up a little early and walk/run. Please don't let time be a factor.

It might not be as much fun, but even if you jog in place during your fav. tv show, it all helps.

Well as for my height vs weight, I am 5'2 and 165lbs....My only problem is that I don't know when I'll sleep if i get up in the morning to go to the gym before work!!! I'll only be getting about 5 1/2 hours of sleep if I get up early and go to the gym...

I know I can squeeze in time on the weekends, but will it be enough to help me lose weight? I love going so getting myself to go isn't a problem...I'm just worried because I've been trying so hard now to go and I'm down almost 2 sizes now. (I'm between a 12/14 right now...14's are a little too big and 12's are a little too small...life is so unfair! lol).

can you get up early before work and go for a run around your neighbourhood? even if it means getting up at 5:00?

Trust me, I know this sucks... but you will reap the benefits..doing cardio first thing in the morning will give you a boost for the day

Try and eat a bit of protein with each meal... and make sure you eat 5-6 small meals each day instead of just 3.

do you do weight training at the gym?

If you still go to the gym in the evenings I suggest you do some weight training at least 3 evenings a week in addition to your morning cardio. Don't be scared off by weights... a girl is never going to get that big bulky look unless you take steroids.

Good luck with your goals!

Well as for my height vs weight, I am 5'2 and 165lbs....My only problem is that I don't know when I'll sleep if i get up in the morning to go to the gym before work!!! I'll only be getting about 5 1/2 hours of sleep if I get up early and go to the gym...

I know I can squeeze in time on the weekends, but will it be enough to help me lose weight? I love going so getting myself to go isn't a problem...I'm just worried because I've been trying so hard now to go and I'm down almost 2 sizes now. (I'm between a 12/14 right now...14's are a little too big and 12's are a little too small...life is so unfair! lol).

Welcome to my world sweetheart. I haven't been able to find a pair of jeans that fit for longer than I can remember. 36x32 are to tight, and too short. 38x34s are to baggy and too long. If they made a 37x33 I'd be in there like swimwear. I'm really lanky and long legged like my dad was so my waist isn't in proportion to the length of my legs. 165 does sound a little heavy for 5'2'', but you said you'd never know it by looking at you. What do you mean? Like I said, if you're just naturally shorter and stocky with a fair amount of muscle, as long as you're comfortable with your body everythings peaches. There are plenty of exercises you can do at home. Push-ups are one of the most versatile exercises in the world. Just by changing the direction your hands are pointed, and their distance apart, you can work almost your entire upper body. For the core you've always got crunches and bicycles. For the legs you have lunges, calf raises, one legged squats. You could also do isometrics. Basically take something fairly light, like and orange, or a phonebook, and hold it in your hand. Hold your arm out straight and hold it there, its a good workout. Or do a pushup but only come half the way back up and just hold there. Do a one leg squat and only come half way back up and hold. Sorry to get so long winded here. If you're comfortable doing so, post a picture of yourself so myself and others can get a better idea of your physical status.