What do you want to say to your ex?

Thanks for letting me go so I could meet the guy whom did deserve me, as you know I am very happy and as is he

I certainly don't hate you, and am glad we were able to remain at least friendly if not friends, but wow, am I ever glad I am where I am now. But despite us not working out, and despite the negatives, it helped me to grow a lot, and figure out what I REALLY wanted and needed and deserved.

So, honestly, thank you. And good luck, because I hope you figure it out someday too, and realize that there is more to life.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to say, "After putting all those years into restoring that VW Bus I'm totally pissed off that you won't adjust the friggin valves and set the timing. How about checking the oil will ya? She deserves a bit of respect.If you snap a valve off it shows you're an unfit owner."

I mean it too.

Dang woman.

Why do you gave up? Why don't you fight for us?

Have you ever resent your parents for forcing you to break up?

Will we ever meet again? I miss you.

I am sad that our love does not survive not because of distance but your unwillingness to hold on.

May be you does not love me enough.

It is sad that I was not given a chance to defense myself, your parents just rule me out. It is not fair.

Will you always be the mama type of boy? Will you ever grow up?

Do you ever miss me?

How could you just ignore me? i can't believe that i fell in love with you and thought you are the one for me. I trusted you, believed you, would do evrything just to be with you. but you ruined it. I don't even know what made you ignore me. I didn't do anything bad. I really don't know if i should be mad for what you have done. although i still miss you, i need to move on.

I would like to tell him that I am thankful that he did what he did because at least you showed your true colours which are not very nice and I didn't waste anymore of my precious time with the likes of you. You were always saying what a nice guy you were - yeh wonder who you were trying to convince.

And I wouldn't mind some of the money you conned me out of....

Sorry feeling a little angry and bitter today.

I was a woman who loved you, but you took my beautiful soul and heart and disrespected me in every way that you could... you hurt me, you compared me to others, watched without emotion as I cried, you criticised me, belittled me, played with me when you felt like it, you were controlling and abusive, you would never go out of your way for me but would do anything for others... you were never going to take me seriously and if I didn't have the strength and courage to ultimately say "no" to you, you would have continued with your games. Nc was the best thing I ever did, I'm not interested in your life anymore, you have no right to know anything about me. I believe in what goes around comes around and in that case I have a whole lot of love coming to me...

I know how to love!!!!!!!!!

Now that we're apart, I can truly see how love is blind. I made so many excuses for you, I always defended your behavior, I always thought you could do no harm...but you did.

You were so controlling, I always thought it was my fault. I was too afraid to stand up for myself. I always put your feelings and our relationship above mine. I never got mad at you, I never told you how angry you really made me feel. I always pushed my needs aside and felt so unsatisfied...but somehow I convinced myself it was ok, because I did it for you.

It may have felt like love, but we never really connected. You never saw the 'real me.' I felt like I could never completely be myself, that you could not accept me for who I was. I agreed to do things I didn't want to do to make you happy. I had to let go of things that made me happy so you could have the relationship you wanted, so you could be more comfortable.

I gave up too much for you. I lost too much of myself in our relationship. I was reserved, unsatisfied, and so confused the entire time I was with you. Everything was so complicated when we were together...its amazing how much simpler life is now that I am not with you.

I'm not even sure if I can call you my ex... our story is too bizarre.

But still...

Thank you for showing me that I am capable of loving someone.

I never told you I loved you because it was all too strange... to love someone you never even met. To talk to someone on the phone every day for 3 months, connect with them so completely, get so attached... without ever meeting. And then to have them drop you without warning. I had never been in love before. You were right though, it probably wasn't healthy. Who in their right mind would start out a relationship long-distance, without even meeting in person? But for 7 months I longed for the day you would change your mind and call me...

And then you contacted me a month too late. When I had given up. Maybe a month earlier I would have shared the poem I wrote about you. Thank you for having the guts to contact me though, I sure didn't. Especially since... you were coming to my neck of the woods for a job interview. My emotions were so jumbled after spending so much time and energy trying to get over you, that when I actually met you in person I didn't know how to react. I played it cool. I really thought that whatever was meant to be would be, and I wasn't going to try to force things to happen.

Besides, just because you had an interview didn't mean you were moving here... so I couldn't let myself get too attached, get so hurt yet again...

But what do you know, you found out a few months later that you got the job! You were moving here... we were finally going to be in the same place... we finally had a chance!

We started talking like we used to, I thought so anyways... you got my hopes up... and then...

You found someone else. But the slap in the face was... it was a long-distance relationship anyways. And you always told me the distance was what was holding you back. You couldn't even explain how this new situation was different than ours. You wouldn't tell me... "I just don't have feelings for you." Believe me, that would have hurt LESS. Because I still had feelings for you. Very strong feelilngs. I couldn't really express them yet, but they were there.

I'm sorry I blew up at you about that whole thing, but I stand by most of what I said.

I'm glad that we're still friends. I'm glad that when you moved here 6 months later, you called me. And we hung out a few times. And you are just as great a guy in real life as I had always imagined. Well, close enough

And then you and your girlfriend broke up. And I told you I still had feelings for you (you know, just in case my saying I could never be more than a friend to you a few months back was keeping you from making any moves). And you said you think we work better as friends.

Well, * * * *.

After all that. Two years of my life, thinking about you constantly.

What irony. Longing to be with you for so long... longing to be in the same place for so long... then you move here and we can't be together. And then when we can be, you decide... we SHOULDN'T be together.

You still can't tell me you don't have feelings for me. I guess you do. I guess it's not enough though.

Well, thank you for rejecting me for the third time. Thank you for doing it very quickly, painlessly, and directly this time. Thank you for not letting me get carried away for a third fall in a row. Thank you for just being my friend. And a good friend even. I know that it takes a lot from ME to be able to be just friends with you, but it's worth it.

Some day, I'm going to find someone even better. And you're going to regret letting me go. I'm sorry for that, but it's definitely going to happen. You're a good friend, but you're a fool. I'm such a good catch And I wanted YOU.

I miss you every day.

It's only been a little over the month. I dread the weekends. Saturdays are particularly hard. Around the usual time, I still expect to hear the phone ring and to hear you say "What's the traffic looking like?"

I miss waiting for the sounds of your foot steps coming to my door...

I miss so many things. I miss you. I miss us.

When night falls on Saturday, I'm reminded again that another weekend is passing by without you.

I know it's over, though I wish it weren't. I wake up alone in my bed and I keep waiting for you to come out of the bathroom or from the kitchen to tell me that this has all been a bad dream. But you don't appear.

I miss you.

Cecerose

Do you really get that big of a kick out of working at that poisonous place? You do realize that the majority of the employees there are in high school, right? And you, my friend, are well into your college years...which is something that most of them don't even dream about. It's great that, as a supervisor, you're on good terms with your coworkers, but since when are you actually friends with that scum? Be careful, or else you'll go down their slippery slope.

And what's this about birthday parties? When in the last three years have you attended, let alone organized a birthday party? Surely not for your own birthdays and surely not for mine. You just limited yourself to having cake with your family. So what makes these people so special and deserving of a birthday bash? Since when are you this social butterfly? Or were you deceiving me all along when you claimed to be shy and prefer single dates to group dates?

I really want to say these things to you face...I realize that it wouldn't make you come back, and I don't really want you to...but you have to understand that you deserve so much better than these people. Unless, of course, you feel that your maturity level is better matched with them than with people your own age...which is not the case, because time after time you proved yourself to be an incredibly mature person. Be careful, that's all I want to say. There's more to friendship than dressing up for Halloween and having mock wedding ceremonies...and I'll bet almost anything that when things get rough, they won't hold up their end of the deal. And I don't know where I'll be at that time...so choose your friends wisely.

And despite all that, I still miss you somewhat. How silly.

Lord, I will be so happy when I am over you....

I keep writing here because I know that contacting you isn't the right thing to do. What would I say? I don't want you back, but I miss our friendship. I have many friends and acquaintances, but very few that I am truly close too. You were one of the few.

For the last three years, we spent all our holidays and weekends together, except when you were ill or out of town. December wasn't too bad. You spent the holidays with your elderly parents -- a fate you jokingly claimed you didn't want to subject me to.

Fair enough.

So, now I'm facing my first Thanksgiving without you. For the last two years, you spent Thanksgiving with me and my family. Now it's just me and my dad, since my mom is away helping my sister with her new baby. We're going to a buffet -- one that we've been to several times -- and I know you enjoyed.

One of my favorite memories of you is going into a Ben and Jerry's and watching your eyes light up when you considered all the choices. I saw the man I loved turn into a little boy for a moment and it made me smile. You always bought me ice cream and opened doors for me. You did a lot of things that helped me feel special and loved. We cooked and ate and made love and watched movies and talked and laughed and went for walks and took naps together and traveled and ...

If our relationship was so wonderful, why did we break up? In the end, I wanted more emotional intimacy. Intimacy you weren't able to give. And when I needed you, when push came to shove, you left. I knew this from the start, that there was a part of you that was closed off. But I wanted to give you a chance. And I lost. I've met enough people to know that your inability to intimate has nothing to do with me. I know you loved and care for me, even if you couldn't say "I love you." Your exact words were "I feel love for you and have for a long time." Being in love was something you had problems with. I told you that I was never in love you, but that I loved you.

Being in love is overrated. I saw you for who you were and I loved you.

I hope we can be friends someday. But it can't happen. Not now.

I would type more, but I have to make this quick:

Matt, I miss you and love you more than you could ever know (well, you did know when we were together), even though you hurt me badly, even though I've been through hell the past 2 years as a result of your actions, your betrayal. Please come back to me. We were great together. I remember how much we both smiled when we were together. I miss that so much.

did you ever considered me your boyfriend?

do you ever think of me right now? do you hope its me the one who is calling when your cell phone rings? do you miss our talks? do you miss us? do you miss me as a friend? did you find someone to talk to and get things out of your chest like you used to do with me? have you realized our fate was in your hands and you just didnt even try? do you know that i realized we had broken up three weeks after it happened?

i hope you can answer those questions. i can say yes, i still think of you every minute of my day. yes, i hope its you the one who is calling when my cell rings. yes, i totally miss our talks, our knowing of each other. i miss you finishing my sentences. i miss you, the friend i needed to have and who understands me. i wish you would have tried, because i see thats what you didnt do. i wouldnt have all these questions in my mind if you would have at least tried!! even if things didnt work out, i would respect you more for standing up for us.

i hope that new guy (i dont know if he exists) gives you what i gave you (which i know you loved). i hope he can also give you what i left incomplete. i know there is someone out there waiting for me, so i dont worry that much about spending all my life alone. thanks for letting me know it was ok to love and be loved. i think we will be friends in the future, but not the near future. i need to heal.

thanks for everything, and know i love you; but be aware that i also love myself.

I'm sorry for being such an idiot and wasting my second chance that I probably didn't deserve in the first place.

Thank you for an amazing 7 years. Being loved by you was the greatest thing in the world. I'm sorry I didn't make you feel that all the time. I know I did most of the time and I hope you remember that over the bad times. It was a privilege being with you. Thank you for the holidays and the trip to York I'll never forget any of it.

Pizza Hut doesn't taste the same without you.

I miss you so much it makes me feel sick, and its already been two months since I last saw you.

I want to hope you're happy without me, but I can't at the moment. It's selfish but I want to be the one who makes you happy not someone else.

I hope one day you miss me and want to try again. I wouldn't mess it up again, I promise.

I endured 9 years with you, you useless, fat g*t. I can't believe I felt guilty for not wanting to be with you after you forced me to have sex, used our children to hurt me, humiliated me in front of your friends, screwed around behind my back, manipulated me, threw tantrums when I wouldn't bend to your every whim. You are a failure and I am glad to be rid of you at last.

I feel sorry for you. It must be hard living in a world where you have to constantly be in control of everything and everyone. You must always have to be on guard. However, just because I feel sorry for you doesn't mean that I would ever go back to you. I'm enjoying life without you too much to do that.

I never cheated on you you paranoid freak

I loved you and cared for you

its a shame you were in denial that someone might love a person like you

I tolerated your * * * * for months

just so that you would stay for me but you left anyways

you claim to be someone your not

go ahead listen to the rumors

listen to ur so called "trustworthy" friends

they were jealous and yet u still believe them

its ur loss

i dont want u back like i did

i am dead to you as far as i am concerned

I'm sorry that I pushed myself away from you last semester...I thought you didn't need me, I thought you wanted to focus on your family. I'm sorry that I snapped at you so many times when I was stressed and acted like you had betrayed my trust when you hadn't...I'm sorry I was too dense to pick up the signs that you weren't happy, that I took it for granted that we'd stay by each other's side all through college like we planned. I'm sorry I put work above visiting you at the end of the semester. I'm so very sorry that I couldn't make you happy enough and that you had no choice but to get out of the relationship. And I'm sorry that after the breakup, you felt like you needed to hold yourself back for a while before entering the dating scene again. I really wonder who the next girl is going to be, and hoping against all hope that it's not one of your coworkers, although it probably is, since you spend so much time at work. Nobody at that place deserves you.

It's a pity that you had to set such a high standard for the future. I always imagined myself having a fairly short, mediocre relationship first, then moving on to a longer and better one, and so on, in a logical progression, improving every time. I definitely didn't expect my first relationship to be that long or that good...It's going to be hard for others to measure up to you.

We should have broken up earlier...it probably wasn't going to work out anyway, so why did we date in the first place? I shouldn't have kissed you in your car that night. Right before I did, I told you that I would probably regret it, and I do now. I wish I didn't have all these memories and expectations that are holding me back right now. I really do regret falling in love with you. It's just so painful to realize that I finally met someone who made me believe in love...only to prove to me later that love doesn't exist...Because if it ended, it wasn't true love, right?

I knew you needed to let me go. I hated you for it. All I wanted was to show you how much better it could be, but you ran. I am not perfect and neither are you, but you were the best I have ever had. I have to push the thought of you to the back of my head and shake it off. I have to forgive you for how you treated me after we broke up, I have to forgive so much. I hate how you hurt me. I hate how you had sex with any girl who passed your way. I hate how you let go of the man I admired to be what everyone else thought you should be. I hate how I can't let you go. I hate how you can't let me go. If you don't love me, if you don't ever want to be with me again then let me go! Don't tell me it will happen later in life if it won't! Please don't be lying to me, I need to know now. I need to know what to do. How can I keep you around when you have hurt me so badly? How can I trust what you say to me when sometimes I don't even know who you are? I hate how I am so confused!! Sometimes I just want to scream! After almost 3 years of being broken up you are still around. How is this happening? This does not happen to most people. I let you go but you keep coming back to be my "friend". You keep coming back to tell me you love me. I want to move far away, you suffocate me when you say those things. I need to run......I don't know if we will get back together but we might....where do I run to now? How do I do this? I am so lost..........

I have a few to talk about:

L***: You were my high school sweetheart and the first love. I will always carry a special place in my heart for you.

L**: I hate it that the distance come between us but it finally took its toll. You have always been a good friend and I hope you have a great life.

K******: What we had was probably the most passionate experience in my life, I was so hurt that it was short lived. You have always been the smile on my face that would make people wonder.

N*****: You are a disgusting person that I hold nothing but contempt for. I do not believe in hating but I did you would be the one.

Archived