Wanting what you can't have!

shikashika

This is said over and over again.

Why is it we want what we can't have... but then again... people DO manage to stay in loving relationships for a long time... or forever, and they are having what they want. When do you realise you have what you want?

I've been in relationships, where I know I ''have him'... and I don't want anyone else... so its not always a case of wanting what I can't have.

I've met guys that are into me at the beginning, then if I start to reciprocate the interest 2 months down the road they don't want it anymore.

Trying to be aloof, or unavailable or emotionally uninterested can be a turn off as well~

I think people want what they can't have because people want the challenge in life and humans seem never to be satisfied with WHAT they have. Humans are conditioned to want more and more.

I think you are right in this... especially in today's society... if you have a car, job loving family and friends, you health.. its never enough... adn if you had that extra car of bigger house or more friends, you'd just want more and more of it.

How do people manage to be satisfied with one person and one true love... many people do...

In past relationships I was happy with what I had... I didn't want someone else... so I had what I wanted..

I think people want what they can't have because people want the challenge in life and humans seem never to be satisfied with WHAT they have. Humans are conditioned to want more and more.

I agree! I envy people who are content with what they have. I have learned to avoid the "if only ... I would be happy" because I know it isn't true. I'd be less stressed if I enjoyed my job more or didn't have debts, etc, etc but I know I'd always be striving for soemthing more.

Here is an excerpt from the book "Engaging God's World," by Cornelius Plantinga Jr. that provides a different point of view: "When we have something, we are seeking union with something from which we are separated. For example, we want to be reunited with a happy time, or a lovely place or a good friend. We look at a green valley and want to crawl under its covers. We think of a happy time and want to dwell in its center. We keep wanting to get back or get back in. But what is remarkable is that these longings are unfulfillable. We cannot merge with the music we love. Nor can we climb inside nature. Even when we fall deeply in love and marry another human being, we discover that our spiritual and sexual oneness isn't final. The truth is that nothing in this earth can finally satisfy us for ultimate beauty comes not from a lover, or a landscape or home but only through them."