How do you feel when you've left one job for another?

Just finished up in my current job today and will have a new job soon and I feel......so empty. I didn't plan a going away night out drinks thing after work as I have such a long commute to work and the people I work with would have to go home for a few hours get changed etc and then come back in and I wouldnt like hanging about by myself.

I'm just feeling kinda lonely now. I've a week unemployed between the two jobs and am kind of at a lose end as I don't really have friends outside of work.I guess I wondering if anyone cared that I left cos where I worked when someone left there'd be a card going round for goodbyes and I didn't get one.

It is normal to feel a bit lost when you've left a job?What should I do to shake these feelings and get on with things?

A friend of mine and I had a conversation about leaving where we used to work, just minutes ago.

We worked at the same place a while back and now work together at a new place. She mentioned how she missed the comraderie of the last place and I told her that I hated the two jobs after the one we worked together at.

My point is, I know where you are coming from, but ya can't chase the feeling. It will only make you feel worse. Try and think about the new job in terms of the job and what you will learn. The friends will come later.

I too just go home from my new job and don't have any friends in this new city. I try and keep myself busy. I think I need to reach out more to others.

Make sure you do what you can to reach out. Ya know, say Hi and such.

Anyway, I totally know how you feel and I think it is normal.

If you are leaving for a better opportunity, or for a new career path, I think ultimately you will find that "sadness" passes....it's normal when you have been somewhere a while to have some sadness in there, but keep in mind your reasons for moving on, and embrace the new journey!

Transitions are always tough. You know the routine at the old place, you know the people, and you generally know what is expected of you. You have to learn all those things over again at a new place.

I've found that the first 3 weeks really suck at a new job. But after about that time you get oriented, you start meeting people, you learn what you are supposed to be doing, and you get past that awkward part.

I'm leaving my job too (early November), for a better career opportunity. I am so sad, and I even cried when I told my boss I was leaving

I'm really going to miss my co-workers-- but I know that a lot of them meet up at a local pub for happy hour every Friday, so I can always drop by.

It's bittersweet, that's what it is. But I've left other jobs before, and I've moved on. It might only take you a few days after your last day of work to get back to normal-- that's what it took me.

It hurts now, but you'll get over it fast. You'll be so busy with your new job, and more concerned with making new friends.

Hi

I was relocated to another place for work. Frankly, I don't even miss my old colleauges or feel sad leaving that place, because they not only bully me, threaten me, back stab me, but also verbally abusive.

They gave me expensive presents just to buy my heart when I leave. I think mostly is because they scare me whistle blowing them on the other work place. Frankly, even they didn't buy me anything, I would not do that because it is not me and it is against my principle.

I am really glad I got relocated as I writing resignation letter before I get a verbal notice from my boss.

I am very much happier in this new work place.