Exercising/eating right questions.

I just recently started to get up about 15-20 minutes earlier in the morning to do quick workouts. These workouts are 10 minutes workouts that are on my Comcast OnDemand thing. I did it for two days, first day I did an abs one, second day I did one for legs. After that second day my abs were killing me. I know, my muscles aren't used to it, so it's going to hurt. A friend of mine told me that when you start to work out, you should only do it once or twice a week, and gradually do more as your body gets used to it all, or at least do it every other day or something, not everyday. I was wondering, is this the truth? Would it be better for me to start out only doing it a few times a week, and then as my body starts to adapt to it, gradually increase my days of doing it? I want to get on a good schedule of it, and do it right, so I was just wondering.

ALSO, I was wondering some healthy foods I can eat to help me out. I don't want to completely give up the good foods, but I definitely want to try to cut some of it out. I heard two good things to eat instead of a meal are yogurt, and salads without dressing. Is that true? Any others you can give me?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys give me.

First of all, if all your doing is core excersizes then do it as often a week possible. Its going to hurt, those muscles havent been worked like they are now and the reason it hurts is because you are tearing down muscle to build it back up. I work out 4-5X a week. I do weight training,core and cardio. when it stops hurting push yourself a little farther. the hurt is good. Your body is telling you that it is building new muscle. The only way to start slow is on weights, start small pounds and work up. Go for it, the harder you work out the better you will feel.

Like the previous posts, slow is the way to start. 2-3 times a week with low repetitions 8-10 reps. Your muscles will become soar but you'll get used to it as your muscles become stronger and you won't hurt so much. Do cardiovascular excersizes also, jogging is good, this will help especially if you want to burn calories. As your body gets strong your endurance will increase and you can do more repetitions. As for diet, moderation is key less of the bad and more of the good, its important that your diet is balanced giving you the minerals and protiens you need to stay healthy.

A friend of mine told me that when you start to work out, you should only do it once or twice a week, and gradually do more as your body gets used to it all, or at least do it every other day or something, not everyday. I was wondering, is this the truth?

i think if you want to make it enjoyable, you should start slow. i workout 3 times a week (tue/thurs/sat) and when i first started in late june... WORLD OF PAIN. i haven't done weights since my junior year in college and when i started out, it would take 4-6 days to recover. when i first started doing situps, it was hard to do 10.

now that i've made it a more regular habit, i still have some soreness when i do more than i usually do (16 widearm pull-ups and 8 negative pull-ups tues... yay, new high), but it's definitely less than when i first started. it is very discouraging when you're in so much pain initially so you just have to stick to it and find some motivation.

edit:

ALSO, I was wondering some healthy foods I can eat to help me out. I don't want to completely give up the good foods, but I definitely want to try to cut some of it out. I heard two good things to eat instead of a meal are yogurt, and salads without dressing. Is that true? Any others you can give me?

hmm, things i eat on a daily basis: bread, apples, water (a LOT of water), nonfat milk, chicken, rice, vegetables, string cheese, cottage cheese, cereal, meal replacement powder, vitamins... that's about it. i'm pretty simple.

yogurt tends to be high in sugar, especially Yoplait (mixed berry flavor... i could eat that everyday for the rest of my life) so i've cut it out of my diet. i eat salads sometimes and i never use dressing. i tend to feel like a cow when i'm eating the salad. moo