PEOPLE ARE UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Advice??

Lady Bugg

Ok before I start my little rant....I have to give a little background.

As many of you know, I have a salon....I have three stylists currently.

Two of my stylists have been with me for about a year..and are awesome employees. They show up on time, don;t call out.....just great. Now for whatever reason ...getting that last stylist to "fit in" has really been a challenge for me. I do NOT put up with any B.S. I am very fair...but I let it be known that I expect everyone to be professionals. No gossiping, drama. Just come to work, be professional, do your work and go home.

Moving along.... A few weeks ago I hired "Sue". Sue seemed like the ideal employee. Good stylist, well dressed, even disposition. PERFECT I thought! WRONG. I found out Sue has a LOT of "issues". Her b/f is addicted to drugs...last week she never called or showed up for work for two days, then find out she was apparently in the hospital after she hurt her back at her part time job. She supposedly gave her mom her phone before being admitted..and her mom "forgot" to call us. Ok.......so she came back...this morning I get a call that Sue called out AGAIN..apparently her dad died this morning.

Ok....now I HATE being cynical...but is it WRONG of me or am I a bad person for assuming Sue would be lying about this?? I mean I want to find out...but how can I without sounding like a Gustapo boss?? Ugh.......My instincts tall me she's lying. ..and if she is..she is toast. What would you all do??

Thanks!!!

Hey there LB,

Do you have it written somewhere in your policies about no-calls, no-shows? Many places I have been to only allow that to happen ONCE, then a person will be written up. Three write-ups for the same offense within a certain time frame calls for termination.

I don't know, maybe ask for a doctor's note about her being in the hospital? Or ask where to send condolences or flowers about her dad's passing and see how she reacts then.

thanks Chai and Kell.....

This is frustrating..because I am open 7 days a week..and when someone pulls this, it makes it impossible to cover the shifts....not to mention it being unfair ro everyone else who has to cover for them.

As I said, I don;t want to jump to cunclusions...but I am sure Sue knows she is on the "chopping block" right now..and it would have to take a death for me to accept her calling out right now. Kinda hard to NOT raise an eyebrow at this point....with so many things that just seem to happen . You know?

Look in the paper for the next few days. Even if you don't know his name, her name will most likely be in the obits. ("He leaves behind his wife, Mary, and his children, Sue, Lou, and Drew.") Or call her to express your condolences (be sincere!) and feel her out. If you can't, ask when the funeral will be so you can send flowers.

Let your employees know from the get-go that there are no excuses for not showing up without calling unless they themselves are dead. I understand that she's in a rough spot because her father just died, but calling work to let them know what happened is just the responsible thing to do, plain and simple. Not only are you left in a really tough position if they don't call, but you'd worry about them.

She might really just have a lot of issues going on right now...how is her work when she does show up? Does she have a professional attitude? If you think she is someone you want working for you in the long run, then I'd try to be understanding and see if things shape up over the next couple of weeks or a month. It does seem like there have been a lot of issues just in the first few weeks she's worked for you, which is the time when employees are, in a sense, on "probation," trying to prove themselves.

But regardless of what's happened, professionalism--and even just common courtesy--means making sure you let your employer know, ASAP, if you're going to be late or just not show up. Her not doing so puts you, the employer, in a real bind--reliability is so important.

I would let the dust settle with these two instances, then see if her behavior changes. If this keeps up, it will start to affect the morale of your other employees, who from the sounds of it are doing a very good, very reliable job. People should not be rewarded for flakiness, but it sounds like if she *is* "faking" anything, she's choosing things that no one can really call her on without sounding heartless....very tough situation.

You should be sympathetic but taken to the cleaners either.

I would do as others suggested, be very kind, ask for a doctor's note confirming her hospitalization, and then look up her father in the obituaries.

I think it's best to give the benefit of the doubt here.

I had similar happen in my life, smooth coasting for many many years, then a whole slew of illnesses in my family, when it rains it pours.

Fortunately my employers were kind and I just left work completely, as I knew I was needed back home.

Try to figure out what is going on before jumping to a rash decision.

Hugs, Rose

Ah LadyBugg, I feel your pain. i am going through the same thing with an employee. After a bunch of BS on the job his grandmother died. I did give him the benefit of the doubt, because he actually seemed upset and shaken. As one person said, her dad can only die once. But I know how hard it is to believe her sincerity... especially with her previous track record. I have no advice, just empathy!