Slipping (...rant-ish)

easyguy

My best friend and I, both 20, live under the same roof with my parents. He's a childhood buddy of mine. I guess you can say he's the closest thing to a brother that I've had in my life. But it seems like he never wants to talk about things anymore, never wants to do things anymore. Part of that is because we have completely different interests and personalities, moreso now then ever. He's the cynic, the loud talkative person who can talk and talk for hours (literally). I am the reclusive, soft-spoken shyish counterpart who is modest and open-minded about so many things.

In about a year, we'll probably never see each other for very long, if at all, because I'll be moving out to move accross the country, and he wants to move overseas for the Marines (and he tends to hide things like this from me... I don't know why).

We still have our laughs and are in each others' presense at school for part of the day, but besides that, it almost feels like we are avoiding each other.

I don't know, I guess this is more than a rant. Life sucks sometimes.

Sounds hard. People change and it sounds like the change for you two is causing you to grow apart. Part of life. I was curious though, why does he live with you and your parents? I ask because I went through something like that when I was that age... had to live with somebody else for a while to afford the college I wanted to attend... things got hard after a time, and I felt like I was a burden on that family. Could your friend be feeling anything like that?

I think it was about 2 years ago when his parents, who lived accross the street from my house, moved accross the state (i.e. a 4 hour drive). And so he moved in with his grandparents, who were maybe 10 minutes away from my house. But then they moved to another city, and he didn't have the money to live by himself in an apartment or what have you, so he moved in with us.

Part of it was the financial side of things, and the other aspect of it is that he is like a part of the family.

But it's amazing how adding one more person to a household can completely change things, for better or worse. Before he moved in, it was just me and my parents.