ok i think i have depression or anxiety or something. ive tried talking to my mum but she just gets frustrated cos she doesnt understand. ive tried talking to my friends but i dont like to seem ungrateful when theyre trying to help so i say i feel better when actually i feel worse. i think i need to see a doctor but i dont know what to say, i feel like a hypercondriac. any help or experiences?

Tell the doctor exactly what you've just said to us.

It sounds like depression to me so I don't think you'll have any problem explaining.

The sooner you make the appointment the sooner you can get medication to ease the condition. If you leave it too long and it is depression it's going to be harder to fight. I know I've been there.

Good luck and take care.

ok i think i have depression or anxiety or something. ive tried talking to my mum but she just gets frustrated cos she doesnt understand. ive tried talking to my friends but i dont like to seem ungrateful when theyre trying to help so i say i feel better when actually i feel worse. i think i need to see a doctor but i dont know what to say, i feel like a hypercondriac. any help or experiences?

Oh my god, I know how you feel. i felt like that a month ago. I hated it. I was basically depressed because my lack of employment and I was having a hard time dealing with it. And anytime I mentioned it, people would try and give their 2 cents on what I should do to find a job. Really, it made feel worse, just like you. I wanted to tell them to shut up and let me vent because sometimes we want to be heard and listened to, not given advice. I broke down and explained my needs to my bf which I still don't know if he really understood and also told my mom because I couldn't keep it in. Really there were only 2 friends who I could talk to and let out my frustrations.

I know it's hard. Having someone to talk to when you're stressed is vital to trying to maintain your mood. I kept stuff in and it made it worse. Talking to people at times made it worse.

Even though I found a job, I'm still dealing with adjusting to now working and not feeling like some failure. It's taking work, but waking up and going to bed NOT crying is nice.

I really thought about getting help but sadly, I have no insurance much less the finances to pay for a thearpist. I hate the US sometimes. I'm doing better now, but if you have the resources, I'd say go talk to your family doctor about recommending you to a thearpist. Then at least you can start talking to someone about how you're feeling and help you work through your issues.

And yes, the sooner, the better.

Hi there,

What makes you think you're depressed/anxious? There are some really good websites out there, which give quite good pointers about whether you possibly have depression. But I think if you are worried you should go and see your GP and talk this through with him/her, and see what they have to say.

I had a look just now at one reputable site about ways to combat depression without taking medication. Maybe something to think about? They seem pretty sensible suggestions to me, to be honest.

i). Sleep and mood are intimately related. Keep a regular schedule and get adequate rest.

ii).Avoid caffeine and other stimulants. Although they give temporary energy, they can deplete your serotonin levels in the long-run.

iii). Take a multi-vitamin regularly if you do not eat well. Several vitamin and mineral deficiencies can lead to depression symptoms.

iv). For mild to moderate depression, some find that St. John's Wort, SAMe or 5-HTP can be helpful and may have fewer side-effects. These remedies cost less than prescription medications and help put you in control of your own treatment.

vi). Get in touch with your spiritual side through prayer or meditation. Remember, spirituality is not the same thing as religiosity. You may be spiritual without ever setting foot in a church, synagogue or mosque.

vii). Get more exercise. This doesn't mean you have to start up a vigorous daily workout. Even a walk around the block can be energizing.

viii). Avoid excess alcohol consumption. Alcohol is a depressant and toxic to your body as well.

ix). Eat a well-balanced diet.

x). Your thoughts have a direct bearing on your mood. Learning about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, either through a therapist or self-help books, can help you stop the negative thoughts that bring you down.

xi). Stress can be physically draining. Learn to control your stress levels through time management, meditation, biofeedback training, etc.

xii). Combat feelings of loneliness by reaching out to others who are less fortunate.

all i want to do is stay in bed all day. i dont want to see anyone or do anything.. maybe im just lazy but ive been feeling like this for months! i dont see the point in anything. i worry about petty things. i hate meeting new people. i blush heaps. i feel dizzy, faint and be sick sometimes just because i get nervous

You've got some form of depression. Please go and see your doctor. The longer you leave it untreated the worse it will be.

I suffer with depression and I do the things you're mentioning regularly.

Good luck

Let us know what the doctor says.

Good luck.

hmm i really hate using the phone which is why ive put off phoning the doctor for an appointment. i dont know why i feel like this, nothing bad has happened. can people really get depressed for no reason? if id broken my leg it would be easy to see whats wrong with me, but its hard to explain how i feel and seems a bit pathetic. its all in my head so why cant i sort it out?

Wow I know just how you feel...I've been there and I'm not out of the woods by any means...anxiety shyness and lack of motivation...I wish I could give you the solution, all I can say is do something to fix it before it gets worse or gets to the point of no return

i was actually going to phone the doctor today but i kept finding excuses not to, im my own worst enemy!

I understand your hesitation. I suffer from anxiety too and it's not easy to take those first steps sometimes (especially when it involves the phone) but once you do I'm sure you'll feel so much better.

I find it helps to write things down and mentally prepare myself for what's going to happen - sort of a rehersal. That takes some of the 'fear' out of it.

I recommend you start with writing down all your symptoms and how long you've had them - or do an online depression quiz and print your answers. That will really help you to explain what you're feeling to the dr.

Second, call and make the appointment. Just say "I haven't been feeling right for some time and I'd like to talk to the Dr. about depression".

You can do it!

Well I just realized how stupid it was to be that anxious, that everyone is a person just like me and it's silly being afraid to talk to them...also try hanging out with your friends as much as you can to get over your shyness..that's as far as I could get although I'm still not able to take the next step and kick into gear...

If you are in high school or college there are free counselors which you can go to who can either help you for free, or help you get the help you need. If you have graduated both hs and college you should seek help on your own. If youhave graduated hs and are not planning on going to college, there are free services at health clinics and hospitals or you could pay to see someone.

Find a way to get help!!! If YOU think you need help it's a sure sign you need to.