PhD Diagnosis of Separation Anxiety

UPDATE:

OK, so I started therapy again to figure out why I have spontaneous anxiety attacks and emptiness. We discussed that maybe it’s b/c I have been “governed” by someone all my life and not having that person there leaves me feeling abandoned. Maybe, it’s a thought. The confusing part is this, it was MY choice to leave. I knew I was empty and no matter who I try to fill the void with, I remain empty. When I am with a guy, I always feel terrible when he leaves. I can’t tell you why…?? It’s been there for as long as I can remember. It bothers me most with this new guy b/c I don’t know if or when I will be with him again-no security.

I will be continuing therapy for a while to see if I can’t identify where the emptiness comes from and how to move thru it. If anyone has input, I’m all ears.

PS—she had me try this exercise where you write with your non-dominant hand (if you’re right handed, use your left, etc.) It was REALLY hard to write that way, btw!! BUT, she says it has a way of using the other side of your brain and the issue will usually come up and surprise you. SO… I will be writing scribbles until I figure this out. I hope it works!

Again, if anyone has had something similar, I’d love to hear from you.

When you develop these spontaneous anxiety attacks which leave you feeling "empty," are you saying that these just randomly occur and that they are not the result of any particular event?

I think it's normal to feel somewhat empty when someone you like leaves you. That part I think everyone can agree with - nobody likes being left and it will affect their emotions to some degree.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Hope things get better for you soon.

RAMSICKLE - thanks for your new post! I am EXACTLY that way. I have been diagnosed with suffering from anxiety attacks.

Even though I let my ex go out or visit his cousin in another state, I begin to be blanketed with fear hours before he leaves.

Let me know what you learn please. In the meantime I will try the left-hand exercise.

Wow, this really hit home. I don't quite get anxiety attacks but I feel really lonely and empty even though I have a boyfriend and my kids live with me. I only really spend time with my bf every other weekend which only heightens my feeling of emptiness and lonliness. At my worst I long for my ex, he left me after 18 years, but we're 4 years on now, so I'm beginning to think the problem is with me and the emptiness I feel. Everything is so confused I don't know where or how to sort things out, Is the therapy helping?

I think we should take comfort in the fact that there are other people out there feeling just the same.