Thinking about Photography

I was wondering if anyone on this forum is a photographer. I was wondering if you could learn it on your own. I already have a Canon Rebel G camera and another lens for it. I don't want to sound conceited but I take good scenery pictures. So I do know I have talent. I was looking stuff up online and I couldn't find anything that was helpful as far as learning how to develope them. I really don't want to go to classes because I took one photography course and I didn't learn anything because the teacher never let us do anything hands-on. I just need some direction. Sorry for writing a chapter.

Coffeegirl,

I'm not a photographer but have been taking pictures with an DSLR (digital single lens reflex) camera for the past 8 or so months. I noticed you're shooting with an SLR (non-digital) after having visited the Canon website. I'm not completely familiar with the film development process but the mechanisms between my camera and yours are very similar.

The only thing I can recommend is doing a search on "photography basics" for now. A decent site on the explanations of technical aspects of your camera is link removed

As far as developing your own photos in a darkroom, I do not know. Hopefully someone else will know how who is a member of this forum.

To further develop your skills, I would become a member of a photography forum (there are lots) and have them critique some of the photos you take. From there, you will be able to get input from other people which could help hone your skills.

Good luck and enjoy your photos.

I am not a professional photographer, but I hope to be someday. It is a hobby of mine, I have been doing it for about 6 years. Anyway, I do black and white and honestly you NEED to take a class and have someone show you how to do it, it is hard to understand otherwise. I could sit here and type how to do it, but you need the hands on experience. There are a lot of chemicals involved and just mixing them is hard, let alone using them. I have been doing it for a long time and I still have a lot to learn. You should check out an art center in your area, that's where I started. They will let you rent out darkroom time as well. Almost every city has some sort of art center. The teachers there are usually very nice and like to help people, you may even find a mentor which would a big help to starting a career...if that's what you want. Make sure that you sign up for the right type of class, a black and white photography class that specifies that you will spend time in the dark room. Feel free to PM me if you have questions or want to share photos.

I'd look around for other classes. You could also write a letter to the school or organization that hosted the class you did take, and let them know what the shortcomings were for that particular class. I know it doesn't help you now, but maybe they will revise the manner of teaching for that class in the future.

Maybe you could find a "photography mentor" in your area....I'm the editor of a (very!) small newspaper in the Chicago suburbs, and one of my best photographers is always looking for ways to improve her craft, so anytime she sees someone shooting photos at an event, or comes in contact with someone who says they do photography, she asks them if she could come along to something and watch them work, then pick their brain a bit about how they do what they do. More often than not, they're flattered to be asked, and she said she's learned a LOT.

Is there a local newspaper where you are? If so, are there any photographers whose work you particularly admire? Maybe the shop where you bought your camera could also put you in touch with someone who takes the kinds of photos you're wanting to work on....

Hey coffee...

I do some photography ( or did until last month)... mostly black and whites, but I do events and posed shots too...

I am self taught and have had alot of luck getting jobs, etc... Sometimes the thing to do is to just go shoot interesting shots and then offer them and an accompanying story to local newspapers, magazines, or national geographic... you would be surprised what they will publish.

Hands on and making your own mistake is the only way to get a feel for your particular camera, and I love the SLR, I have one of those. Do you take macro or regular lens?

PM me if you have any questions... I am too foggy on meds to think straight right now...lol