Aaaagh! Struggling to make career decision!

Hi,

I've been working for the same company for the last four years. It's my first job in my chosen career. The company is small - just five people, and after two managers, I'm the most senior person there, and am highly respected.

I've reached a situation where I think it's time to move on as the company isn't really going anywhere and I'm just doing the same thing on a day to day basis - not really learning any more, but I just don't know what to do.

The problem is, that the management (who I don't have a great deal of respect for to be honest considering the lack of speed in growth of the company) appear to finally be getting their act together and more work might be coming in soon. They have big plans. If I leave, I might miss out on a good opportunity to do some interesting work.

The job is comfortable and pretty well paid, in a nice part of town with quite a few perks and mostly nice people, but it's not stretching me and I feel as if I don't leave at some point then I'll regret not seeing what lse is out there. I don't want to be there for the rest of my life, so I guess that means I'll have to leave at some stage!

If I left, I'd hand my notice in and leave by Christmas, go travelling for a few months to pursue another interest of mine - photography - and then return home and freelance for a bit before probably trying to find a job at a big company.

Basically, I feel like I'm in a rut and would like to see what else is out there, although I'm concerned that the rut could potentially get better and I'd miss out having built myself a nice little niche.

My heart says leave and do something different - take a risk for once - but it's so difficult to decide - can someone who's been in a similar situation offer some advice?

Thanks.

How soon do you think the big plans will come to fruition?

If I left, I'd hand my notice in and leave by Christmas, go travelling for a few months to pursue another interest of mine - photography - and then return home and freelance for a bit before probably trying to find a job at a big company.

What you have planned if you left the company is not going to get you any further than if you stayed in the company. It could take a while to find a job at a big company by the time you start looking, after you have finished traveling for a while. I have known people to quit their jobs, pursue fun interests for months and then realize that it is not so easy to find another job. If you choose to leave and go traveling for a while, that is fine, as long as you are aware of the fact that you might not get the job you want so quickly. Are you prepared financially if work is not rolling in once you go freelance and start looking for a job? Are you prepared emotionally if things don't go as smoothly as you planned? These are all things to keep in mind. Another alternative is to start looking for a job in a big company while you are still in this place. This way you can see if the big plans come through. If you get a new job and want to leave, you can then try to negotiate a start date with the new employer taking into account some travel time.

you know what. i've been from a couple of companies before. and most of those, i really didn't like the management. when i feel like i can't take it anymore and can't see myself in their company for another year, i go find a new job while at work. be sure you have found a new job or you have a prospect before you leave your current job/company.