man, this is a tough one. zoloft has been my friend for so very very long. everytime i try to get it out of my life, i can't stand the withdrawal symtoms. it has helped me for many many years, but i feel that i've grown emotionally and perhaps i should give it another try without the drugs. so....with that in mind, please post back if you've had the withdrawals or unable to ween yourself off....i stopped this time because i feel as though i've 'flat-lined'...what i mean is when i feel bad, i can up the mgs, but it gets no better. i feel that i don't 'feel' anymore. today is day 5. day 3 was the worst. i cried, had nothing to live for, had no-one to love or love me m, couldn't think of a thing that made me happy (total BS..but hey, it's what happens in the first few days of withdrawal.)...anyway, today is day 5 and i feel fabulous! the sky is brighter, the food taste better, i feel attractive, i feel in charge. which is quite a change since my break-up that ocurred in may....i had lunch alone at a sushi joint by myself and thoroughly enjoyed myself! please share with me how your withdrawals are. no one really talks about it because the drug is so new. thanks!

Congratulations to you 25th for having the courage to do this. Please continue to let us know how you are getting on. It sounds wonderful that you got through the hards yards and now the sun is shining for you.

Myself I really want to get off zoloft so what you share can really help and encourage others.

God Bless you.

thanks ya'll. i started a journal day one, i am now on day nine. the journal is incredible. i did go to the mountains for 3 days to detox, and i'm glad i did. i had the usual crying and sobbing, dizzyness, electrical currents buzzing through my head so loudly that i kept my ipod plugged in. day six, the colors were brighter, my music put me into a complete high zone, food tasted better...life was great. i was taking a shower, there was a skylight right over the tub! i cried so much because it was so beautiful...i'm getting overwhelmed just thinking of it now... life was so good...i was at peace. and i realized that i can't be mad at my ex for treating me like crap....i need to be mad at myself for putting up with it! REVALATION!! i need to stand up for what i believe and not 'consider all the sides' all of the time. if it feels disrespectful to me, then by GOD it is.

i've been full of energy, love and laughter. my fear is this is the 'up' that i miss, and with this high, the lows can be devastating. we will see. i sound rather manic to myself, but gee, it feels so good to feel. i had too much salt yesterday, so i'm very dizzy today, but that was my own fault. key here is to really eat heathy to try and keep the seritonin levels 'right'. oh, another note....no desire to 'over drink' to feel. i drank very moderately this weekend, and simply stopped after a couple of drinks....hhmmm....good news so far!!!

dizzyness is not so bad today. i feel like i have the flu today, my muscles hurt so bad, i can't climb up on a chair to reach something. hhmmm...my joints hurt so much i'm ready to make an appointment with the ortho doc. i feel like i'm 70 years old today. my body is betraying me. my thoughts are good and i'm thinking very clearly....my body needs to catch up.

man oh man! great day! saw my therapist last night...she wrapped everything up in a nice little ball! that's why i pay her $100.00 an hour! she is the best....she is so good for me, and she validates what i'm working on and saying. i've been sleeping better than i have in years! i wake up happy, i go to get happy. had a little snag today, found out my bf of a year went out with a 24 year old woman! but, guess what? i laughed and moved on with my day. (ok...my elelctrical impulses went beserk for 15 seconds)...dizziness is subsiding, thoughts are clearer, things are lookin good! whoo hoo!

Wow, 25th floor if I was your neighbour I would be opening a bottle of champagne. This is so encouraging. Thankyou for sharing your journey with us.

I feel proud of you for what you have achieved. Your therapist sounds very good too.

My plan is to get a good therapist and get off it when I feel the time to be right. Your words have encouraged me.

thank you chele! still very very dizzy today...i can cry at the drop of the hat and laugh histerically (sp) the next minute. still think it the meds, and also started my period today....geesh...that means......drum roll please....i made it through withdrawal and pms (yep...i stopped my birth control also a month ago)....in my heart...i am very happy, i'm just very sensitive to outside stimuli.. commercials, harsh works, cashiers complaining, etc. going on a paddling trip this evening to see the full moon....i'll either cry or howl. i'll keep you guys posted. thank you all for letting me tell my story here...i know it's probably not the most entertaining, but it helps... and i love reading deejays stuff on prozak/pacil (sp)....oh...and one more word. as more and more people go through this world 'flatlining' i'm totally happy to be emotional again.

not sure what i was thinking...that i could stop taking a manufactured drug without losing my mind. what the f&ck was i thinking? who am i to say 'hey, i'd like my life back with OUT the ringing, and dizziness, and electrical currents screaming through my head'! my bad, as the kids say today. my bad. what was i thinking, to begin with...that a freaking drug could help me with depression almost 15 years ago ... and that would have been MILD depression...could now drive me to the brink if chopping off my friggin head? to stop this insessant ringing and buzzing..... so i could walk up a flight of stairs with groceries, ..so i could eat a meal without throwing up??? done...i'm so done with the sh%t. i'd give a million dollars to anyone that could allow me to move my eyes without puking. this is crap. i can't imagine PHIZER (SP) knew NOT what they created when they created this monster zoloft. if i make it through this weekend, it will be a GD miracle. pray for me. i swear to God, pray for me.

oh. so sorry, the reason i have maitained 2 weeks? other drugs...drugs i take for vertigo, or dramimine or benidryl. i stopped that today too.. not sounding so promising. will the damned drug force be into the world or 'downers'? another very hard addiction to break? i'm sure phizer makes those too. sorry guys...having a really really hard day. please feel free to respond because i am at the end of the crap.

hey 25th, i feel you. have you read my posts today??

yeah, what we're experiencing does suck! but we've got to be able to get through this. others have, so why can't we?

i guess these pharmaceutical companies didn't really think too much about coming off them. it seems they had no "exit strategy" planned. or maybe they did but some people still go through these terrible withdrawals.

anyway, you can PM me if you want.

hang in there, i certainly am trying!!

Hi 25th floor,

I am glad you are venting but I am so sorry that you are going through this tough weekend.

I am praying for you. Trust in yourself you can do this you will overcome.

I don't know if this article is of any interest but it talks about some of the foods you can also eat that can help.

link removed printable article

Originally published October 3 2006

The top five foods for beating depression

Drug advertisements and conventional doctors tell the public that depression is caused by an imbalance of a neurotransmitter in the brain called serotonin. This idea makes it seem that drugs that flood the brain with serotonin are the answer to depression, but there is no scientific evidence that drug therapy really works. In studies in which scientists lowered serotonin levels to induce depression, the experiment failed. Other studies found that dramatically increasing serotonin levels in the brain failed to relieve depression. So why do doctors persist in prescribing medications with side effects ranging from mood swings to suicidal or homicidal behaviors when those drugs may not even work?

There are treatment options that can relieve depression without swallowing pills. Many of the symptoms of depression can be directly linked to vitamin and mineral deficiencies in the standard American diet, which is largely comprised of empty carbs, caffeine and sugar. Depression, mood swings and fatigue often have a common cause: poor nutrition. Avoiding depression or recovering from a depressive episode is often as easy as changing your diet and boosting your consumption of key foods that deliver brain-boosting nutrients and help regulate brain chemistry.

The five foods for beating depression

Fish oils: Contain omega-3 fatty acids. Research has shown that depressed people often lack a fatty acid known as EPA. Participants in a 2002 study featured in the Archives of General Psychiatry took just a gram of fish oil each day and noticed a 50-percent decrease in symptoms such as anxiety, sleep disorders, unexplained feelings of sadness, suicidal thoughts, and decreased sex drive. Omega-3 fatty acids can also lower cholesterol and improve cardiovascular health. Get omega-3s through walnuts, flaxseed and oily fish like salmon or tuna.

Another top food for delivering imega-3 fatty acids is chia, and we currently recommend two sources for chia seeds:

Good Cause Wellness

link removed

Brown Rice: Contains vitamins B1 and B3, and folic acid. Brown rice is also a low-glycemic food, which means it releases glucose into the bloodstream gradually, preventing sugar lows and mood swings. Brown rice also provides many of the trace minerals we need to function properly, as well as being a high-fiber food that can keep the digestive system healthy and lower cholesterol. Instant varieties of rice do not offer these benefits. Any time you see "instant" on a food label, avoid it.

Brewer's Yeast: Contains vitamins B1, B2 and B3. Brewer's yeast should be avoided if you do not tolerate yeast well, but if you do, mix a thimbleful into any smoothie for your daily dose. This superfood packs a wide assortment of vitamins and minerals in a small package, including 16 amino acids and 14 minerals. Amino acids are vital for the nervous system, which makes brewer's yeast a no-brainer for treating depression.

Whole-grain oats: Contain folic acid, pantothenic acid and vitamins B6 and B1. Oats help lower cholesterol, are soothing to the digestive tract and help avoid the blood sugar crash-and-burn that can lead to crabbiness and mood swings. Other whole grains such as kamut, spelt and quinoa are also excellent choices for delivering brain-boosting nutrients and avoiding the pitfalls of refined grains such as white flour.

Cabbage: Contains vitamin C and folic acid. Cabbage protects against stress, infection and heart disease, as well as many types of cancers, according to the American Association for Cancer Research. There are numerous ways to get cabbage into your diet; toss it in a salad instead of lettuce, use cabbage in place of lettuce wraps, stir fry it in your favorite Asian dish, make some classic cabbage soup or juice it. To avoid gas after eating cabbage, add a few fennel, caraway or cumin seeds before cooking. Cabbage is also a good source of blood-sugar-stabilizing fiber, and the raw juice of cabbage is a known cure for stomach ulcers.

Also worth mentioning: Foods like raw cacao, dark molasses and brazil nuts (high in selenium) are also excellent for boosting brain function and eliminating depression. Get raw cacao and brazil nuts at Nature's First Law. Another source for cacao is Navitas Naturals.

Things to avoid

If you feel you are depressed or at risk for depression, you also need to avoid certain foods and substances. Some commonly prescribed drugs -- such as antibiotics, barbiturates, amphetamines, pain killers, ulcer drugs, anticonvulsants, beta-blockers, anti-Parkinson's drugs, birth control pills, high blood pressure drugs, heart medications and psychotropic drugs -- contribute to depression. If you are taking any of these, don't quit them without talking to your doctor; but be aware that they may be contributing to your condition by depleting your body of depression-fighting vitamins and minerals.

You should also avoid caffeine, smoking and foods high in fat and sugar. Keeping your blood sugar stable and getting B vitamins is important for stabilizing your mood. Cacao can be good for mood because it releases endorphins in the brain, but watch out for milk chocolate and candy varieties high in sugar.

Other non-food things to do

Get plenty of sunshine. Natural sunlight is a proven cure for depression.

Engage in regular exercise at least three times per week. Exercise lifts and mood and alters brain chemistry in a positive way.

Experience laughter. It's good medicine.

Take a quality superfood supplement to get even more natural medicine from the world of plants.

###

All content posted on this site is commentary or opinion and is protected under Free Speech. Truth Publishing LLC takes sole responsibility for all content. Truth Publishing sells no hard products and earns no money from the recommendation of products. link removed is presented for educational and commentary purposes only and should not be construed as professional advice from any licensed practitioner. Truth Publishing assumes no responsibility for the use or misuse of this material. For the full terms of usage of this material, visit link removed

• Like 1

I made my boyfriend come off Zoloft a few months after we started going out... the doctor he saw (for the record - absolutely HOPELESS) told him that he just needs to stop taking them... WRONG! He should have been weaned off them gently..

He spent the next six months very moody and crying all the time, that sort of thing... but I'm still very happy he's not on them any more...

I'm glad you are doing well since coming off the anti-depressants!

thank you all. deejay, i'm going to try and read you posts today. it hurts to hold my head up. last night was the darkest deepest most depressing night of my life (well, not really...i've had worse!) i'm still hunger from the drammimine (sp)...i took st. john wart this morning along with my vertigo meds. i just love being stoned in the morning...what a freaking existince. how on earth did i smoke pot from age 13-25 is beyond me! i hate this. i've given myself the day off....i can lay around...not move my head...all day long...and i'm going to say thats ok. this is a very good warning to others....wean yourself off. i figured if i made it two weeks it would be better. NOT! my fear this will be my life forever, which will force me back on that drug for life....i'm hanging in there....let me try to read deejays post. thanks yall.

You guys are scaring me, really. Lord almighty. I quit smoking last winter and nearly went bananas; I can't imagine what you all are going through.

If you are having unbearable side-effects, please, please talk to your doctors. Quitting anti-depressants or any psychiatric medication can have overwhelming consequences. I never hear anyone responsible recommending cold-turkey; depending on how severe your symptoms are, you need a really slow step-down process; I've heard that it can take months to come off.

Yes, it's true, depression etc. can be managed without drugs -- sometimes. Often, maybe. But you're not dealing with depression anymore. Please be careful guys. I'll be praying for you.

You guys are scaring me, really. Lord almighty. I quit smoking last winter and nearly went bananas; I can't imagine what you all are going through.

If you are having unbearable side-effects, please, please talk to your doctors. Quitting anti-depressants or any psychiatric medication can have overwhelming consequences. I never hear anyone responsible recommending cold-turkey; depending on how severe your symptoms are, you need a really slow step-down process; I've heard that it can take months to come off.

Yes, it's true, depression etc. can be managed without drugs -- sometimes. Often, maybe. But you're not dealing with depression anymore. Please be careful guys. I'll be praying for you.

hey juliana, i don't think everyone on SSRIs goes through these withdrawals. i guess 25th floor and i are the lucky ones. in addition, it depends on the types as well. those that have a shorter half life (eg; zoloft and paxil) tend to have these withdrawal effects.

i just called 311 (nyc information) and asked about where i can inquire about free healthcare for students and/or free clinics where i can get enough paxil to taper off but unfortunately it's the weekend and being that tomorrow is a gov't holiday, i am not so sure i can get any help for a couple of days. i'll try anyway tomorrow.

i didn't want to quit like this but i lost my job and have no health insurance. my shrink won't call in anymore prescriptions since he's not treating me regularly. there's nothing more i can do at this point.

thanks so much for your prayers.

There's a book called "I'm Dancing as Fast as I Can," by Barbara Gordon. She quit valium cold turkey:

"My scalp started to burn as if I had hot coals under my hair. Then I began to experience funny little twitches, spasms, a jerk of a leg, a flying arm, tiny tremors that soon turned into convulsions. I held on to the bed, trying to relax. It was impossible. I told myself it was just a twenty-four hour withdrawal, that it was nothing. I could take it." (pg 48). At that time, valium was said to not incur any kind of withdrawal symptoms, and it was her doctor who told her to quit cold turkey.

I'm pretty sure that everything you are experiencing is directly related to the withdrawal, not to your original psych problems. Whatever depression you might have been suffering wouldn't have had time to move back in. So hopefully as the withdrawal symptoms subside, you will recover to a "new normal."

"Recently one of my patients, a man in his twenties, was trying to taper off small doses of Elavil prescribed by another physician. Over a period of several weeks we cut back on the medication, until it was stopped. Within a day or two of complete withdrawal he began to feel ill. It seemed exactly like the flu. He felt lethargic and his muscles ached. He lacked appetite, felt sick to his stomach, and vomited in the morning. Despite his tiredness, he had trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. He felt increasing anxiety as well. A complete physical evaluation by an internist produced no evidence of an infection, and I was forced to conclude he had typical flulike drug withdrawal syndrome. He gradually recovered over a few weeks, vomiting for the last time about a month after ending the medication." -- Peter R. Breggin, M.D. "Toxic Psychiatry."

Breggin is well known for his anti-drug views, and even he doesn't recommend quitting cold turkey. However, according to this book, only about 55% of people experience these symptoms; and there's no way to know exactly how bad they will get. I hope that you are through the worst of it.

Juliana, thank you....great into. i didn't do exactly cold turkey, i went to other drugs...st johns wort..but you are right...it has been awful....and the flu like symtoms wore me out. i think i totally crashed saturday...first day i felt like cutting off my head or hurting myself in someway....i wouldn't have, but it felt like a good solution. i think pms, starting my period was just another straw on the camels back. i bought some daytime meclizine (sp) yesterday, took that this morning, along with the st john wart, and i feel wonderful. i'm happy inside, i'm not witchy or mean...i cursed out my car this morning for hitting me in the head when i tried to get out....that all. i would not suggest this way of stopping to anyone. i always think that i'm so tough...and i am...but it was very very very painful....and still is at times. i think people my age...who have done all the drugs that i have done....(acid at 13 just for starters) believe we can handle anything. but, why should i ? i'm not sure why i did it in such an awful manner. geesh.

You did quit cold turkey; St. John's Wort is not the same drug at all. I'm in my 40's as well, and have come off more than a couple of times -- not prescription drugs....We do start to feel like we can handle anything, but the reality is, your brain was/is physically dependent on those drugs, and bad things happen when we mess with our brains.

Keep an eye out for manic symptoms, feeling unusual clarity, feeling that you "understand things" you didn't before, that things are speaking to you, they are so beautiful -- or horrifying. Get to a doctor if this starts, because you will need to go back on the drug and be backed off it incrementally again.

And if you're taking anything else, anything at all, don't stop. Yes, Pfizer knows all about these effects -- but we aren't here to strike a blow at the drug companies, we are here to keep your head on straight. Here's hoping you're through the worst.

oh man...i just wrote the witchiest reply to you, JULIANA! hmm...what mood swings? what symptoms? what pms? ha. you are right on all accounts. i weened a little, but not enough. and for me to bite the hand that fed me...pfizer....that's not right either. i needed it then and i might need it later. if i had followed all the directions about a proper weening period...i could have missed a lot of the suffering. very very true. and you are also right, i am screwing with my brain. not a smart thing i did. it would have been different if i lost insurance or job, but i didn't. i just got fed up with this flat line 'nice nice' person i have become and i wanted (some) of the old 25th floor ballbustin self back. i hope this helps anyone who has a choice to do it the right way or the wrong....mine was the wrong.

now....lets suppose i did it the right way? i wonder how long the electrical currents and dizziness would have lasted? these are things i must know....hhmmm........feeling great today, by the way! good energy (not manic) still want to fly off the handle (this is pms i think with a little zolie effect)....excited about life....not in a 'beautiful' manic way, just excited about changing my work schedule (4 10 hour days) starting to run/walk with a group....go at you own speed type of thingy.

Well, if you're writing witchy replies, I take it the "ballbustin'" self is coming back...

I was wondering myself today, if you're over the hump, and it wouldn't be better just to keep going as you are. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience in this area, beyond what I've read. Are the electrical currents & dizziness starting to wear off? I appreciate the fact that you write back and let us know how you're doing.

My mother did go off valium once. She was on thirty mgs a day. It was not a good time. She actually went blind for a few minutes at one point, panicked and called my uncle. He, to this day, believes she had a brain tumour. He doesn't believe that valium withdrawal could do that.

Good luck, hon. I really am praying for ya.

thanks juliana! things are going really well. i take 3 drammamine a day, and that's it. the electrical currents only come back when i freak....ie...i almost drop a cup of coffee, it comes back full force when i experience 'fight or flight'....i'm talking really intense moments. it has replaced the feelng of when you blood runs cold. i think that will eventually settle down. i'm really happy, not manic, i feel, but i don't 'over' feel. no more breaking out in tears, no more over sensitve moods. pms during this time certainly did not help. electrical comes back, also, when i am fatigued...instead of just getting cranky, i get the currents, and then i have this feeling that i simply can't move...i just want to lie on the bed and fall asleep with my clothes on. sleep comes fast and furious....which is good....i've been having trouble sleeping for months.

day 22. i'm still alive...and it's getting better and better. no dark clouds, dizzy every once in a while....flu symptoms slight, but managable. i'm sort tempered a little, still dizzy when i cut my eyes to the side....this drug is pretty strong to still affect me physically. half life? so i have .00000023841 amount in my body? cripes. i'll be dead by the time the symptoms go away? i'm just glad they are getting less apparant daily. i no longer have manic thoughts/moods. i think the things that totally piss me off are things that should piss me off....i've just had them buffered. god forbid i get pissed, right? so anyway...still glad i did it. i'll keep ya'll posted.