Might have an Std...

Please dont judge me when you read this because i know i was very stupid not to do anything.

Last july i had unprotected sex and a few months later i found out the guy was into drugs and had multiple sex partners. I went to the doctor the following may(i was having discharge and a odor since feb. at that point). I waited so long because i was nervous and uncomfortable with the situation. They told me it was a yeast infection, Put me on meds and 2 weeks later, nope it couldnt be that. I went back about a week later and saw a new doctor. She told me that it was a bacterial infection. I got some sort of cream and a pill i had to take twice a day. It was gone, so i thought, but it was only gone long enough for me to get my period and i had the same problems again.

I have been really paranoid lately. I've heard that an std could cause infertility. I have waited over a year to get tested for an std. Am in incapable of having children now? Did i damgage my system? i know that may sound like a silly question, and what i have done is dangerous but im just worried about my future..

I know getting this test is important, but i just find it embarrassing to ask a doctor or gyno. I am going to planned parenthood in a few weeks( thats the soonest i can get in between work and college).

So i guess my question here is, how long can you carry an std before you become unable to conceive a child??

If you went to a doctor and they told you its a bacterial infection did they give you antibiotics? How are you doing now?

You can get infections down there that are not related to sex. Whenever you go to a doctor for this sort of complaint, I thought one of the things they do is test for STDs.

If they havent told you that is the case, and if they are already treating you for your infection it probally is not an STD.

If you had unprotected sex with this guy, then you need to ask to be tested for everything. Your general health as well as your reproductive health is very important. A little embarrassment by seeing the doctor should be nothing compared to what you might have contracted from this guy. Get yourself checked out quickly girl.

I think it all depends on what type of STD. I know that with HPV it could cause a problem with having children. I just had my first child and during the dr visits they said they saw something that could be hpv, they ran more tests and said it was nothing, then i had my 6mo check up and they said they see it again but its worse this time. I am still going in for check ups to decide what it is and find out what to do, but it is frightining. With HPV it could cause bad problems, yet it also can be cured by a small scan, it could be inside the body or just around the outside.

Having an STD could hurt having children in the future, but if you are getting help now, its very likely that if there is something, it can be taken care of. Im pretty sure that you cant get rid of std's but if you have one while having a baby they will do alternative measures for birth (c-section insted of having it go through the birth canal with the std)

You definently have to go to the doctor. But you know that.

I used to be nervous too, but doctors seem to find you mature/responsible if you just say "just want to get checked out, make sure nothing's up!" or something like that. Then they'll run the full list of STD checks.

If you are sexually active, especially if you haven't used protection at least once, it is encouraged by your doc to just let them know and take preventative measures! They do it for a living, it's nothing to be worried about.

I know how scared you are because I had to do it before but she was very cool about it. She told me how common it is, people just don't talk about it. It's nothing the doctor hasn't seen before. You just have to tell them, they aren't mind readers.

Take care of yourself for YOU!

Hey There,

You are right that it's important that you get tested ASAP. There are some STI's (such as chlamydia) that can be treated with specific antibiotics, and they are then cured. The problem is, the longer you go undiagnosed, the longer you wait to be treated, so the more complications that can arise.

I would not recommend going to the ER... you will only wait for hours (it's not a life threatening problem) and they aren't really the place to go for STI testing, unless it's accompanied by a rape or some other emergency.

The best thing to do is what you are planning to do, make an appt with Planned Parenthood for a complete STI workup, and they will also provide counseling about the results and what you can do to protect yourself.

Keep us updated!

Many STDs like chlymidia (sp??) can run their course over a few months or years, causing scarring and leading to infertility.. I'm not saying this to scare you but regardless, you should get checked out asap... it's possible that you don't have an std, you may have an infection that could be sexually transmitted or not (bacterial).. or even a bad yeast infection.. either way I hope you get checked out soon!!